PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question about my legacy

Sajus
11-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Its about the DRL...my car is a legacy BD 95" does it even have a DRL unit?
Also since its related is there a way to drive with the low beam off?
It would be energy-wise no?
Let me know.

Wiscon_Mark
11-24-2006, 05:55 PM
There's no DRL on the 95 Legacy. There is the auto off feature, which is extremely nice. Due to safety concerns and general lazyness, I just leave my headlights on all the time. I can't give you a good reason not to. It's generally accepted that the amount of time a Halogen lamp spends on doesn't really have an effect on its lifespan, and you really aren't wasting any energy, as the alternator easily spits out more power than is used during a trip. You can easily turn off the low beams by switching the stalk to the "off" position.

MCarp22
11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
They might have DRL in Canada, not sure about that though.

Legacy4Life
11-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm just guessing, but I assume that you know how to turn the lights to the off position, so if you're asking how to drive with the low beams off... that means you probably have DRL. They should go off if you pull the handbrake (or put it in park?).

It's not so much a DRL module, as it is built into the logic of the headlight circuitry. When the car is on, and it's not in park (or hand brake is not on) then the headlights come on.

I agree with Mark that it's supposed to safer that way. In Canada, it's also the law for cars after a certain year of manufacturing.

When I disabled mine I just removed the leg of the circuit that was responsible for the DRL. There's a resistor in series with that leg to reduce the intensity of the head lamp a bit. I drive with my fog lamps on all the time instead.

Sajus
11-24-2006, 08:19 PM
That's what i want to do drive with the foglight and turn the low beam when i need them(night driving).
Its only because im planning to install HID in my lowbeam position and i don't them to light eveytime I go from park to drive.
You know sometime you're about to leave start the car put it on drive then remember you're forgetting something park->drive->park not really good for HID, I mean to power up then power down in short time.

Wiscon_Mark
11-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, you'd have to have independant fogs for the first part of what you mentioned, which is completely different than the DRL system.

However, it sounds like you have DRLs. I don't know a whole lot about them as none of the cars in the family have them, but they can certainly be disabled. A good place to ask would be the Nasioc Legacy forum.

Legacy4Life
11-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Wiscon_Mark is quite correct about the logic of the fog lamps. Usually they will only come on if the low beams are on. If you disable the DRL, you won't automatically get your fogs.

I rewired mine with aux relays so that they run independant of the headlights. They also work when the high beams are on. So really you have two modifications to make here.