PDA

View Full Version : Coilover adjustment?

OutbackGT
11-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Okay, I'm seriously considering coilovers, specifically Cusco units. Can someone explain to me how the ride height is adjusted? I thought it was as simple as threading the spring perch up or down, apparently no? I found this guide on JIC, but I don't really understand it: Adjustment Guide (http://www.jic-magic.com/Files/33-FLT-A2%20instruction%20(distro).pdf)
Can someone clarify?

Huffer
11-25-2006, 01:15 AM
it's pretty simple - you just use the thread spanners to turn the height adjustment "washer".

You will need a new alignment everytime you adjust the height though.

AussieDan
11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Basically, you adjust the spring preload using the lower spring perch (part b in the jic pictures), in general you want this to be set to just where it contacts the spring (0 preload), as this will give you the most droop travel in the suspension, allowing it to work to its full potential on 'real' (not perfectly smooth) road surfaces.

The height of the car is adjusted with the lower bracket. The instructions are telling you to back off the lower bracket lock ring (part a), then turn the whole strut+spring assembly to screw it in (lower) or out (higher) of the lower bracket.

This is the huge difference between true coilovers and ground-control style coilover sleeves, they allow you to adjust the height of the car without affecting the spring preload.

OutbackGT
11-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Excellent. I think I got the gist of it.

blackgtbeauty
12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
on this topics what is a good coilover for the BE/BH's?

OutbackGT
12-08-2006, 12:03 AM
The only ones I could find were the Cusco Zero-2 coilovers.

mranlet
12-13-2006, 11:57 PM
There are many high quality coilovers available for later model Legacies (post-BG). Aragosta, Bilstein, Tein, GAB all make coilovers for Legacy.

For BG/BD models, 2002 WRX coilovers bolt straight in. The rears are a little low on wagons (perhaps on sedans too?), and the top hats are turned almost 1/3 of a revolution, but by swapping the top hats side to side you can get them to be almost right for camber adjustment.

On an offnote, I'm probably going to be producing tophats for converting WRX coilovers to properly adjust camber on BGs.

sheepdog
12-14-2006, 12:44 AM
ohh fancy

rougeben83
12-14-2006, 10:44 AM
BE/BH Coilovers that I've seen available in the US; JIC, Tein, Prova, Buddy Club and Ksport. GAB is pretty rare, and they don't have a distributor that can arrange rebuilds for them (take that into consideration when you're buying your set), same with the Prova.

Ksport is the cheapest, and LGT +05 owners have had good experience with them as well. I also like the range of adjustability they have vs. the next cheapest set, which are the Tein Basics. Also ask what kind of springs they use (readily available Eibach ERS coilover springs, or something maker-specific) as you may want to change spring rates down the road.

scottzg
12-15-2006, 02:59 AM
For BG/BD models, 2002 WRX coilovers bolt straight in.

you'll need some way to readjust the camber in the rear