PDA

View Full Version : Strut bar installation

OutbackGT
11-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Okay, I Just ordered up a front strut bar from Cusco. Reason being, if the strut bar fits, their coilovers specified for the same model should fit. Anyway, I know it just bolts right to the upper strut bolts, but how difficult is the install? I assume I want to keep the load on the struts so I don't want to lift the car, right? Do I just unscrew the nuts, plop the strut bar on, then screw back on? Is it essential that I use a torque wrench for this or can I use a standard socket and just tighten as hard as I can? Any guidance is appreciated.

AussieDan
11-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Just take the nuts off the strut top studs, put the bar in place and reinstall the nuts.

Be careful not to overtighten them, they're only small and it's easy to break the studs right off. If you're comfortable with tightening bolts by feel I wouldn't bother with a torque wrench, but definitely use one if you're not 100% confident that you can do it by feel.

If you don't have a torque wrench, now is the time to buy one. You may not absolutely need one for this job, but if you're planning on doing any real work on the car you will need one sooner or later.

OutbackGT
11-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Torque wrench is on a long list of things I need along with jackstands, wheel ramps, and an impact wrench.

Huffer
11-26-2006, 11:47 PM
First - you do realize that Cusco make differing models of coilovers, and that the front strut bars for the BE and BD cars are the same as the GC/GF Imprezas?

Second - installing strut brace is dead easy.
Find a flat surface. Park car. (you could leave it running it's so simple)
Pop hood.
Undo all six (3 each side) strut top nuts.
Install strut brace.
Rebolt nuts.
Tighten up.
Close hood.
Drive away, believing you've significantly improved the handling of the car.

Wiscon_Mark
11-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Wanna buy an Impact wrench from me? :lol:

I now have 4 of them...

OutbackGT
11-27-2006, 12:10 AM
First - you do realize that Cusco make differing models of coilovers, and that the front strut bars for the BE and BD cars are the same as the GC/GF Imprezas?

I know. I'm specifically looking at teh "Zero-2" Coilovers for the "BH5 Legacy Outback" as it's listed.

OutbackGT
11-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Wanna buy an Impact wrench from me? :lol:

I now have 4 of them...

Got an electric one?

Wiscon_Mark
11-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Yes, but it's not for sale as it's my best one.

rougeben83
11-27-2006, 10:29 AM
why don't you use search? This was discussed at length in one thread a few months back.

bubaru21
11-28-2006, 03:45 PM

what do you mean believing? is this a a placebo part?

shazapple
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
the front of our cars are very stiff and a strut bar doent really add much. Only thing they could be useful on is the rear of a wagon

Huffer
11-28-2006, 07:40 PM

A front strut brace will only help these cars at the very limit of handling. the front firewall is VERY close to the strut tower.

ooberdoob
11-28-2006, 08:59 PM

A front strut brace will only help these cars at the very limit of handling. the front firewall is VERY close to the strut tower.

shoulda bought a rear sway bar :wink:

OutbackGT
11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
shoulda bought a rear sway bar :wink:

Have one.

ooberdoob
11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
what size are you running and do you have a front one?

if so, which came first and how did the feel change?

OutbackGT
11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
what size are you running and do you have a front one?

if so, which came first and how did the feel change?

Just have a rear one. 7/8". Way bigger than the stocker. Really levelled the car out in the corners.

bubaru21
11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
so is there no need for a front swaybar upgrade as well?

Wiscon_Mark
11-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, there's no need to go beyond stock, so that's kind of a relative question, isn't it?

But you asked about a swaybar, and this topic is about strut tower bars.

There's no need to go beyond stock for a strutbar unless you are a serious track event guy and push the car to its absolute limits every 5 seconds or so...