PDA

View Full Version : Weapon R

redlegacygt
06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Ok so when i first got my car i was told by some people to get an intake and for some reason i listend to them... but not only did i get an intake instead of doing more research and geting headers, i ended up getting a weapon R.. So now that i have the damn thing and learned that they pretty much suck, is there anything that i can to still use it and make it actually useful.. I wanted to change the filter and just replace it with a k&N but didnt check out sizes or anything yet.. So basically im asking is it work just taking the weapon R off, or keeping it on and just throwing a K&N on there?

InSaNe AzN KiD
06-18-2005, 02:52 AM
i am using 1, i dont mind it, i replaced the filter w/ a AEM cone filter from my madres 04wrx cai that i took off :)

galek_98gt
06-30-2005, 11:41 PM
i've got one and it works just fine. i use a k&n cone filter.

slip
06-30-2005, 11:54 PM
When it comes down to it most aftermarket intakes are the same

Reason
07-01-2005, 05:55 AM
When it comes down to it most aftermarket intakes are the same

I would have to agree, It would come down to the filter.

Tris_STi
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
You guys know what I think about aftermarket "CAI" and particularly Weapon R. :roll:

badbasser98
07-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Thing I don't get is when they call it a "cold air intake" when it opens up into your nice hot engine bay... :dontknow:

I made one for my BD, it sounds awsome, but gets you no where in the performance field. I actually noticed a power decrease especially on a 80-90 degree day. :? This is why I converted it back to the stock intake and just removed the resonator. Still the same sweet sound (although alittle quieter) and no more performance decrease. If you have a BD this is the route I would take, and throw in a green filter. :wink:

-BB98

slip
07-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Thing I don't get is when they call it a "cold air intake" when it opens up into your nice hot engine bay...

I agree with Tris, aftermarket intakes are kind of a waste of money. But the intakes that open up into your engine bay are "short ram" where as "cold air" intakes leave the engine bay and actually get fresh air (Injen, AEM, etc.)

Short Ram = waste of money/louder than stock

Cold Air = functional

redlegacygt: How about using the Weapon R pipe to run to your stock air box instead of a cone filter, then put in a decent panel filter. That way you'll have the best of both worlds and better throttle response than you would with a short ram intake and cone filter

Reason
07-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks for clearing that up slip. It's funny how some people don't know the difference of the two.
Also slip can you post up your intake to give them an idea of what you are talking about.

slip
07-02-2005, 09:10 PM
you'll have to excuse my dirty engine bay but here's my set up:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

ooberdoob
07-04-2005, 12:03 AM
snorcusectomy & 3" 90* PVC elbow from home depot. and the cap for the hole. (see scoobymods for that P#)

viola, loud as hell and cheap!

ebay the weapon R to some ebay punk

Reason
07-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Did you get the black hose between the MAF and pipe at Home Depot ?

slip
07-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Actually it's from O'Rielly's, they had it in the back

redlegacygt
07-06-2005, 11:38 AM
yeah i think either way i should have did more studying and got headers first.lol o well, now ill just have to find the right k&N filter to fit it, or just use the stock box and a k&N filter which seems like a real good idea

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Slip, is that piping for the short ram intake narrower than stock plastic tubing? Cause I would think a narrower inlet would help low end torque...although it may throw a code or something...??

slip
07-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Slip, is that piping for the short ram intake narrower than stock plastic tubing? Cause I would think a narrower inlet would help low end torque...although it may throw a code or something...??

It's very close to the same size, I don't know about torque though. My whole goal with my intake was to have ideal throttle response instead of trying to get the most power out of it

Wiscon_Mark
07-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Well, how that came along, was when i read how a twin turbo works (or most of them anyways). You have 2 intakes, one is smaller with a small turbo (for better/faster airflow at lower RPMs plus a small turbo doesn't need as much exhaust to spool up) and one is a large turbo (so at wide open throttle you get lots of air and the turbo will be able to spool because you're putting out tons of exhaust). Since I wouldn't mind a little high end loss for the sake of low end gain, I was thinking, would a slightly smaller intake tube do that?