PDA

View Full Version : Kartboy

ivwarrior
12-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, I ordered a Kartboy short shifter/bushings/knob last night. Got an e-mail today that it shipped and should be here in 3-4 days.

Now, will I get a warm day to install it, or will I be sitting there doing it right after driving home, with the engine running/heat on? :)

ooberdoob
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
heat on

NOOOOW! :lol:

enjoy :)

Wiscon_Mark
12-05-2006, 11:07 PM
heat on. It shouldn't be too hard. Just be prepared to wrestle with your stock shifter.

blackgtbeauty
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
pfff, do it WHILE your driving home!

Wiscon_Mark
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, you can do everything in 3rd gear! :lol:

warrior
12-06-2006, 07:49 AM
This was the best upgrade I did! If you also get some nice new tranny fluid, i used Redline, butter shifting! Kind of tough when its cold but other than that, great mod!

The stock shifter is really easy to come out, just remove the bolts that attach it to the arm then put it into fourth (obviously you're not really, but in that position) and just push down on the lever and it will pop out.

Getting the short shifter in was the hard part.. you'll need a rubber hammer or if you have palms for steel, go for it!

ten80
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
I installed my shifter once by bracing myself against the roof and pressing down with all my might. The second time, that wouldn't work so I ended up whacking the shifter with a 2ft 4x4. the heavier the object, the better. A 2lb dead blow will do the trick whereas a normal hammer will not. Good luck!

ivwarrior
12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
IT CAME TODAY!!! :)

Ok, I got it installed with minimal issues. The first problem was the bolt didn't want to come out of the shifter. It was hitting the cross brace, but eventually I got it out.

Then, I couldn't get the new shifter to pop into place. I tried putting the KB know on and smacking it, that didn't work, just hurt my palms. Of course, I couldn't find a rubber/plastic hammer. No problem, sledge and a block of wood...nope. Finally, I grabbed the old shift knob and put it on, and whacked it with the sledge. The second or third whack was firm enough to pop it into place. Then, I just had to wrestle the bolt back through everything......

Oh, and I didn't get a warm day, but hey, heated seats sure are nice. :)

I took it out for a quick drive, and wow does that really make a difference. I was expecting shorter shifts, but I didn't realize it was going to be that short. I like it, though. :) Now, I just gotta get the decal on the shift knob, and replace the shifter bushings. Oh, and the tranny fluid. Still thinking about trying Uncle Scotties, if I can find everything. I definately want something that'll be smoother in the cold, what's in there feels really thick in the mornings as I'm trying to shift.

gator gt
12-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Oh, and the tranny fluid. Still thinking about trying Uncle Scotties, if I can find everything.

YES YES YES...Uncle Scotty's is the way to go!!! Did it on my 98 and never regretted it!

Also had the KB SS and front bushing (along with the motor and tranny STI mounts) and what a combo! No regrets.

Now I'm trying to get Tom at Kartboy to mock up an 07 specB SS (cause its different from the STI piece) and then it'll be a full on bushing party swapping EVERYTHING out I can in the drivetrain.

Glad you tackled these pieces....it just feels SOOOO great!

rougeben83
12-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Rubber mallet from the 99 cent store will save you a sore palm or any other gymnastics to pop the kartboy in.

The stiff bushing should be surprisingly effective for you.

ivwarrior
12-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok, I went out today since it was fairly warm out (well, for December at least) and installed the bushing. Looking at diagrams, I was a bit suprised to see much of a difference, but it did feel more solid. It seemed notchier at first, but I think that was just cold trans fluid. When I was out later today and did 20-30 miles the notchy feeling was gone.

Now....what's next................

SHOfast
12-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Uncle Scottys made a difference in my tranny. I could not get over how poor the shifting was in a Subaru, but now with several hundred miles on the Uncle scotty fluid it is like a brand new transmission. I am almost certain the shop that installed my transmission just used 75w-90 or straight 90 gear oil.