PDA

View Full Version : Interior Dome lights/ Radio reset/other lighting Problems...

Brockley
12-05-2006, 05:53 AM
OK. Im just wondering who else (if anyone) has had a similar problem,and how to fix it.
Here is a list of my symptons... :mad: (its a 97 LGT Wagon)

-My radio is re-set every time I cut the car off. (like you disconnected the batery) so the clock flashes/ forgets the programed stations.

-NONE of the overhead Dome/Reading Lights work.

-The HVAC lights are out.

-When I open the doors, the little picture with the red lights in the Gauge Cluster does not light up.

I am installing a new Sterio later today... just wondering if anyone knows what/ where a problem like this would be....

Bad ground/ short somewhere? could these even be related?

Thanks for any help!!!

Huffer
12-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Did any of these problems happen PRIOR to the stereo system being installed?

The dome lights are linked into the following:

1. Door sensors - which are also used to trigger the dash lights (indicating which door is opened).
2. Keyless entry system.

Each door sensor is on it's own circuit, but they all link into the dome lights. The dome light may not work with one door, but it will work with another one.
I discovered this when I found out that my driver's door sensor (the rubber plunger thing on the frame) was found to be BACKWARDS inside the frame.

The HVAC lights are common for expiring after a few years - most 95-99 model cars have burned out illumination. This doesn't affect operation, except if the lights are the the ones behind each individual airflow circulation mode button. I've had an HVAC unit fritz on me and not allow airflow mode changes. The lights were out on that one.

I don't think the problems with your dome lights etc and HVAC are related to the radio.

Wiscon_Mark
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
The radio- it rests because it's memory line (probably a yellow wire) isn't attatched to a line that gives it power 24/7. It's probably attatched to the accessory power or something.

The HVAC controls might be the result of a fuse, or they could be out because of junky electrical connections. I would try opening it up and wiggling it around.

Brockley
12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
The radio is the stock one... untill later today... I will solve all the sterio crap, thats eazy... Im good with electronics, but I just dont know the layout of these cars...

SO the Dome lights and Door sensors are wired together???

It has an aftermarket Alarm System... which I want to remove... if that could also be wired into it....

Where should I start looking for the problem with the doors/ dome lights???

(All fuses are good)

shazapple
12-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Id start looking at that aftermarket alarm. Does it work properly?

Huffer
12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Some alarm systems have functions that allow you to disable/enable light flashes, horn chirps etc.

Wiscon_Mark
12-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Some alarm systems have functions that allow you to disable/enable light flashes, horn chirps etc.

Including the stock one.

Brockley
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Installed my Head Unit... and it wouldnt come on...

then, I found out a fuse WAS blown.. lol

that solved the Radio, Lights and Door signal... the "Room" fuse...

However, all my speakers are blown (except for the front right lower and tweeter...

I tested them all.... all completly blown!!!

so off to buy some Speakers...

Bought some Alpine Type R 6 1/2's FREAKIN SWEET...

(THEY DONT FIT)

Taking them back wed. Getting something less radical... :cry:

Wiscon_Mark
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Want my stock speakers that aren't blown? I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping. (I have upgrades in now).

shazapple
12-05-2006, 11:50 PM
How didn't they fit? I had to shave the plastic holder thingie a bit to get my speakers to fit.

Sorry mark, but your 11 year old stock speakers arn't worth the price of shipping ;) It would be a waste to have an aftermarket deck and shitty stock speakers. Even cheap ass Sony Xplodes sound waaaaaaaaaaaay better than stock

Wiscon_Mark
12-05-2006, 11:51 PM
and then they live up to their name and explode!

Aken
12-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Doesn't fit? Pffft. MAKE them fit :grin:

shazapple
12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
and then they live up to their name and explode!

Pretty much, they distort a lot at higher volumes. I wish they would explode!

Wiscon_Mark
12-06-2006, 01:01 PM
No, I'm serious. Some people have had them do a little mini-bomb on them.

Brockley
12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
How didn't they fit? I had to shave the plastic holder thingie a bit to get my speakers to fit.

I shaved everything out... and added the 1/4 inch bracket as well, but the Magnet was too deep.

they could have fit if I had them sticking out of the door panel...

I took um back and got 2 pairs of Type S Alpines...

They fit with a little effort..