PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid?

BagelPirate
12-05-2006, 02:39 PM
So now my 98 LGT wont start. I'm thinking its either the battery or the cylynoid. When i turn the key over the car just makes one "turn over" sound. I know the battery is not dead because all the windows, electronics, etc... are working fine.

If i turn the key ~3 times quickly it will start up.

I just want to verify that it is the cylynoid before I go spend $100 to buy one, also... are they easy to get to in the motor bay? I'm assuming I could install it myself no problem, after coming here I did manage to install my slave and master clutch cylinders no prob.

Thanks for the advice.

Huffer
12-05-2006, 02:42 PM
it's spelt SOLENOID - that might help you in your online parts search.

If you are having to turn the key quickly, it sounds like it could be a loose ignition switch (keybarrel) rather than something in the engine bay.

BagelPirate
12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Aha! thank you.... I did a google spell check for cylynoid and it didnt come up with any different spellings.

Is there any way I can test it to find the true cause?

BagelPirate
12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I just went out and tried to start it, it had a really weak turnover and took a while to start, but it did start. Before it wouldnt even try to turn over like it just did.

So that means it is the solenoid, right?

shazapple
12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
It takes a lot of amps to turn over an engine, and very few to run an electric window.

A bad solenoid would cause a clicking noise. This sounds like a dead battery.

SHOfast
12-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Get the battery and alternator checked. Its free at most auto parts stores.

Huffer
12-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Get the battery and alternator checked. Its free at most auto parts stores.

+1 on that. Battery might not be able to hold a charge, or the alternator might not be charging it correctly.

Colder temps also affect battery operation, so you need one with at least the factory recommended CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) 650 I believe?