PDA

View Full Version : engine and tranny swap

bubaru21
12-09-2006, 02:47 AM
ok so my understanding from the sticky is this:

if i were to get ahold of an engine with the tranny then i would be set and only have to wire it in. but my question now is what about differentials and axels do they need changed with a tranny as well or can i use ones from my car as is? for example say i got ahold of a ej20t with the 5mt and i have an ej22 with 4eat i swap them out. would i have problems with my drivetrain later down the road?

ten80
12-09-2006, 10:31 AM
If you have female front axles, you are AOK to swap in almost any WRX 5spd tranny with the male axle-stubs. You'll need to source a manual transmission legacy driveshaft regardless of axles. If you keep the rear end the same, there are no issues there. I'm currently swapping an a wrx motor and manual tranny into an automatic legacy and it's NOT easy. the hard part is not figuring out the axles, rather it is doing the wiring.

Wiscon_Mark
12-09-2006, 11:01 AM
You'll want a matching rear differential too. In the case of a WRX 5MT, you'll need a WRX rear diff.

sheepdog
12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Yea you'll need a rear diff, and as was said, a manual legacy driveshaft and possibly axles. You'll also need the full wiring harness for the EJ20t to splice into your legacy harness.

Wiscon_Mark
12-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, it's not an EJ20t technically...It's an EJ205. You are looking at a WRX powertrain, right?

bubaru21
12-09-2006, 10:15 PM
i was only throwing an example out there i dont have anything yet, just fishing to see what i would run into.

sheepdog
12-09-2006, 11:51 PM
oh, and you'll need a MT pedal assembly and clutch cylinders and such. For this kind of swap, a front clip comes in quite handy.

gator gt
12-10-2006, 08:21 PM
ok so my understanding from the sticky is this:

if i were to get ahold of an engine with the tranny then i would be set and only have to wire it in. but my question now is what about differentials and axels do they need changed with a tranny as well or can i use ones from my car as is? for example say i got ahold of a ej20t with the 5mt and i have an ej22 with 4eat i swap them out. would i have problems with my drivetrain later down the road?

My understanding is as follows.

If you skip going with a 6MT, then I'm quite sure that any front axle you have will work. Only thing you'll need to do is make sure it is compatable with your chassis hub at the wheel. So, yes, you could conceivably get away with your existing axles.

IIRC, it doesn't matter if you are NOT dealing with the 6MT.

As stated before, you need to pay attention to Male or Female connections at the axle-differential location at the tranny. Splines may come into play as well, so pay attention to that.

In the rear, it matters when it comes to the differential and its housing. If its non-LSD then, you're cool.

If its LSD, then you'll need the axles that match that diff (ideally, you get it all from the same car). FSMs have axle lengths.

I'm pretty sure that from 1990 to 2005 (Legacy, Impreza, WRX (non-STI), Forester) rear hubs are the same, so the outer splines will and should match.

WRX rear axles are the largest you can get from an OEM parts bin this side of the STI.

You need or want anything beefier than the WRX (ie: STI), well, your wallet is now in a whole new world of hurt as you are opening yourself up to a larger scope of swapping drivetrain and chassis parts.

Hope that helps.