PDA

View Full Version : my legacy gt

markv
12-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi people, I am new to this cool site, and yes i've read the rules and such, anyway way i need help with my legacy gt its a 2006 and my intercooler has been getting bent around from things flying around in through the hood scoop. I have some silicone that can withstand the turbos heat for a little cuz i no it goes to 1200 degrees or more, anyway, i need some help with whether or not I should put a screen either on the hood scoop (under side of the hood) or just right over the intercooler.If some one could possibly get back to me here or my aol account which is Mavuksanaj88@aol.com, I'de really appreciate it!!!

sheepdog
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
bent intercooler fins are something you'll never eliminate. However, either option you just said would work fine. Most people (myself included) place the screen flat on the bottom of the hood under the hood scoop. I was able to secure mine without silicone, but I'm not sure how it is under the hood of the new legacys. It's nice because when stuff (ie a bird) gets in there, you can pull it off and get the crap out. Make sure you don't use a mesh too constricting, as it will hurt air flow.

The best method for bent fins is either 1. An intercooler fin comb. Purpose made, awesome, but costs money) 2. you can use a small flat tip screwdriver and needlenose pliers to straighten them out.

markv
12-13-2006, 10:38 AM
ok, thanks a lot for the response. Just a question if you culd tell me how you fastened it without silicone cuz I think that would be a lot better. Also so just for an idea or visual the new legacies hood scoop have a little fin that comes out just under the hood about 1-2 inches, adn that is whats gonna make it a little hard to fasten the screen with just abut anything. If you know what i mean becasue I dont want to have a bent and messed around screen like a little hump coming from the scoop, cuz I want to have a nice clean finish. If it helps I'll take a pic of it or some thing. But anywayz thanks for the response it helped.

Huffer
12-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Good grief, use the ENTER key occasionally.

As for your silicone screen, why would you use silicone for intercooler protection?

blackgtbeauty
12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Seems like the problem is fairly unavoidable. The screen idea sounds the best to me, but it's only going to protect the ic from big stuff, and anything smaller that would block smaller stuff will defeat the purpose of the scoop as said.

Unfortunatly, I don't HAVE one to give you real experience with this. Dammit. :grin:

markv
12-13-2006, 12:46 PM
the reason to my thinking of using silicone is becasue it can withstand high heat and i dont know how else to install it because of the fin that comes out a little. Screws or fasteners woulod do me no good because they would just rip the screen.