PDA

View Full Version : Backlight for my CD Player

Sarra
12-19-2006, 10:35 PM
I think my CD player is factory original, or a Subaru offered option. It's great, it's old, but it plays CD's just fine. Well, as long as you don't close the glovebox, since you have to slam it shut, and that makes it skip! :P

Anyway, the CD player has a little display on it, shows the track and where in the track you are, but it doesn't have a backlight. When you're driving at night, you have no way to see what track is playing.

Is there an easy way to add a backlight to the CD Player, or would it be easier to just buy a new one? I'd buy the Minidisc player I've wanted forever, but it's doubledin, and my BK only has 1 free slot (if you remove the CD player), and I want to keep the casette player. >_<

Ideas?

Wiscon_Mark
12-19-2006, 10:40 PM
If it's stock, the backlight is just burned out. Very common on the Subaru decks for some reason. Is there any way to add one? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not. I would go aftermarket for many reasons.

Sarra
12-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Okay. I kinda thought that.

Maybe I can get one that won't skip.

Plays_with_Toys
12-19-2006, 11:34 PM
get an MP3 player and a tape adapter. Much better spent in my opinion, and less likely to be broken into and stolen out of your car (if you take the MP3 player with you that is)

Sarra
12-19-2006, 11:47 PM
get an MP3 player and a tape adapter. Much better spent in my opinion, and less likely to be broken into and stolen out of your car (if you take the MP3 player with you that is)

I've got a Minidisc player, it's just too much of a pain to have cords and cables running around the car. :(

02LGT
12-20-2006, 09:28 AM
check out crutchfield.com they have nice selection for decent price. Not too much to afford a mp3 playable headunit. It also depends on quality and what not but...definitely can find a decent one for under $150.

Wiscon_Mark
12-20-2006, 10:28 AM
If you do want to go the MP3 player route (I realize you said cables = ugh) I have a stock Subaru tape deck that I can let go for real cheap.

blackgtbeauty
12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I've got a Minidisc player.

Minidisc? Can you even get those anymore?

I'd get a CD player that can decode Mp3's. No cables, just disposable CD-R's, who cares if they get scratched.

And as far as one that doesn't skip, I've had all Pioneers, one of them skipped once. That's it.

but that's just me.

Wiscon_Mark
12-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I have an Eclipse deck that plays MP3 encoded CDs...I love it. It never skips (100sec read ahead memory). Great security system, excellent sound (amplifier is magnetically shielded) I love it.

kfy1232
12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
when the backlight goes out, that is when you look for a WRX 6-disc cd changer to swap in (it bolts right in)

Wiscon_Mark
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
when the backlight goes out, that is when you look for a WRX 6-disc cd changer to swap in (it bolts right in)

Good idea.

Superu264
12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I would have went this route if it wasn't for my need of an iPod jack.

this looks niiiice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-suba ... enameZWDVW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-subaru-6-disc-changer-cd-player-STI-wrx-rs-legacy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38644QQihZ001QQitemZ110070158438QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Sarra
12-21-2006, 02:15 AM
I found a $500 minidisc player, they still make a ton of them in Japan.

I've had my minidisc player for a long time now, I've got music on it that I can't seem to find anywhere else anymore. o.O Maybe time to reinstall the software for it and download it to my desktop again.

I'll probably end up getting a new CD player. A WRX or Outback 6 disc changer would probably be my first pick, just gotta save up some money first, gotta pay bills.

BryantPHS91
12-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Kenwoods are nice too... I have one and never had a problem with it