PDA

View Full Version : Other options for replacing OEM foglights??????

Navig8r
12-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I've searched a bit, and read a DIY or two on the subject, but I still got a few questions???? :scratch:

I have OEM fog lights, but not projectors.... are projector fogs available that will swap in with minimal trouble.

Also, has anyone replaced OEM fogs on a sedan with a larger light, like a 6" round as I've seen on some wagons (Outbacks) without changing the bumper/cover/etc...... in other words, has anyone done a succusfull "cutout" install of a 6" light. I have PIAA 580's on my pickup, and I'd love a similar light on my Legacy.

My goal with the fogs on my Legacy would be to replace them with a quality, but not over-priced, DRIVING light.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. :smt023

AussieDan
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I was running dual-beam hella optilux 2020 driving lights for a while. Sadly, they never sealed properly and ended up full of water and all corroded.

I'm waiting on some similar lamps right now, the dual beam fog/driving lights work really well and they're usually rectangular to match the cutout in the bumper. I wired mine up so that when the fog switch is on the fogs come on with the low beams and driving lights with the highs (100w bulbs in the driving lights don't hurt either ;) ).

You can get various aftermarket lamps that will fit in the GT bumper opening, but fitting a 6" round lamp in there is unlikely to be an easy mod, unless you switch to an outback bumper skin.

Navig8r
12-22-2006, 11:34 PM
... dual beam fog/driving lights work really well and they're usually rectangular to match the cutout in the bumper. I wired mine up so that when the fog switch is on the fogs come on with the low beams and driving lights with the highs (100w bulbs in the driving lights don't hurt either ;) )....

This was what I was looking towards most likely..... thanks for the feedback on the Hellas.. I was looking at them, as they were the only ones of the type that I could find that were made by a reputable manufacturer.....

Wiscon_Mark
12-23-2006, 10:08 AM
hacking the bumper for outback fogs wouldn't be a good idea, and probably wouldn't be effective.

The projector foglights described in the DIY are from Japanese Market Subarus and can be found on eBay.

Navig8r
12-25-2006, 01:19 PM
OK... I just ordered a set of PIAA 912's From E-Bay.... older discontinued light, but NEW IN BOX!!
Not sure yet whether to put them in the Factory Location, or if I'm gonna stick the factory units back in there, get 'em adjusted all nice like they oughtta be, and put the PIAA's in the lower grill opening...
Also, I've been thinkin about a mesh grill... might work the PIAAs into that..... they are small-ish projector style Driving Beams.

Plays_with_Toys
12-25-2006, 02:54 PM
There are two cars that come to mind, and others are gonna have to chime in with photos.

There is a white outback with a DIY grill and he has two smaller fog lights mounted in the grill. This is the guy who snapped his rear swaybar in a ditch.

Next is a black GT sedan with big round fog lights in the lower bumper cut out that feeds the radiator. I believe this was actually subiegal.

EDIT: Here you go:
http://www.subiegal.com/thecars/subarul ... gacygt.htm (http://www.subiegal.com/thecars/subarulegacy/99legacygt.htm)

Navig8r
12-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Got my OEM fogs in last night, and aimed pretty well.
So far, I gotta say, they seem to be adequate for my needs.
I think I am gonna change the bulbs to the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs (Emit yellow light).. they are the 55w=85w output.
My driving lights should be here early this week, and I can begin to figure out where to mount them.

blackgtbeauty
12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Next is a black GT sedan with big round fog lights in the lower bumper cut out that feeds the radiator. I believe this was actually subiegal.

EDIT: Here you go:
http://www.subiegal.com/thecars/subarul ... gacygt.htm (http://www.subiegal.com/thecars/subarulegacy/99legacygt.htm)

I hate cars with decals slathered all over them.

But that car looks soooo good!

rougeben83
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Got my OEM fogs in last night, and aimed pretty well.
So far, I gotta say, they seem to be adequate for my needs.
I think I am gonna change the bulbs to the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs (Emit yellow light).. they are the 55w=85w output.
My driving lights should be here early this week, and I can begin to figure out where to mount them.

Eh, they're whiter, but that 55w=85w is such a crock. I hope you didn't pay retail, because PIAA's are some of the most overpriced and overhyped bulbs on the market.