PDA

View Full Version : issues with my 5MT

ah_alex_
12-24-2006, 04:42 PM
so i know legacy's dont have the best transmission when its cold out but im having difficulty shifting from 1st to 2nd. i can downshift from 3rd to 2nd no problem. it was fine all summer but as soon as the temp outside dropped around the freezing point it became really stiff. car has 150000km so i brought it into Mr. Lube to have the tranny fluid changed but this only made it worse so i brought it back and gave them shit so they put in synthetic for free :smile: and now all the other gears shift smoother but im stilll getting a very small crunch most of the time going from 1st to 2nd even when fully warmed up. i recently had to take the center console out to put in a cd player and i noticed the ring that holds the shifter in is cracked and broken.https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/12/DSC01616paint-1.jpg
sorry for rambling but i wanted to get the whole story in, so after a very long explanation im wondering if the cracked plastic could be the cause and if there is a way of checking if my shifter is out of place or something. I'm really hoping i didnt f**k the synchros in my tranny or something serious.
P.S. what is the plastic thing called and how hard is it to change.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Merry Christmas to all and happy holidays

AussieDan
12-24-2006, 07:36 PM
First things first, get whatever crap they put in your tranny out and put in some good quality 75w90. Odds are very slim that it's even the right oil for the subaru transmission if they tried to use something non-synthetic the first time around. You need a GL5 rated 75w90 weight full synthetic, without any friction modifiers (Mobil1 has these, steer clear).

I'd recommend redline 75W90NS or Motul. You could also do one of a number of other proven mixes, like reline shockproof + 75w90ns, or the infamous uncle scottys cocktail. Check nasioc for more details on the different options.

I doubt that the stuff in the picture you posted is affecting anything, but it should be pretty easy to pull the shifter out, clean it all and reassemble with fresh lubricant, just in case there are any broken pieces of plastic floating around in there.

scottzg
12-24-2006, 07:59 PM
id steer away from redline in a daily driven car- stuff tends to break down quickly, although it works fantastic while its fresh.

Wiscon_Mark
12-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Oh snap.

Replace linkage...

ah_alex_
12-25-2006, 10:10 AM
the stuff they put in is GL75W90 full synthetic. Dont know the brand but its not mobil 1. I already have pulled the shifter out and cleaned it, the old lubricant had the worst smell i have ever smelled in my entire life. I just figured there is a peice of the plastic missing right where the shifter sits when you go into 2nd gear so i figured it might not be sitting right.
P.s whats that plastic piece called so when i go to NAPA i can ask for it.
Thanks

ah_alex_
12-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh snap.

Replace linkage...

Is the linkage the bar from the shifter to the transmission?

Wiscon_Mark
12-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Well, actually, I was thinking all of it: The linkage to the transmission, the shifter, and the shifter stay assembly.

ah_alex_
12-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I see, well i was going to put a B&M shorty in there anyway, so i guess ill have to buy a few more things as well. Luckily i got some cash for x-mas

Wiscon_Mark
12-25-2006, 01:34 PM
You can get the full linkage setup used from somewhere for extremely cheap. My RS linkage only cost me 10 bucks shipped.

ah_alex_
12-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I see, well i was going to put a B&M shorty in there anyway, so i guess ill have to buy a few more things as well. Luckily i got some cash for x-mas

ah_alex_
12-25-2006, 01:41 PM
posted twice, my bad
will any subaru 5 speed linkage fit?
and how hard is it to change?
Thanks

Wiscon_Mark
12-25-2006, 01:42 PM
mmm, it's a bit of work. You'd want to drop the exhaust to get the midpipe heatshield out of the way.

Any Subaru Linkage should fit, yes.

ah_alex_
12-25-2006, 01:44 PM
quick question:
how does the linkage connected to the tranny?