View Full Version : air intake question

04-15-2005, 10:13 PM
hey, new to the place so hope im posting the right place. i was wondering is there is any CAI thats made for the ej25 that doesnt remove the airbox. anybody know of one or im i better off trying to make my own.

04-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Youd probably be better off making your own. Its not too hard actually, there used to be a post on here describing how to do so. Hopefully the author (Pwise i think) will be able to help you out more.

04-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Well the simplest way is to just remove the plastic parts of the intake after the airbox - then it would draw cold air from the fender.

For detailed instructions on this check it out on scoobymods.com: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113

04-16-2005, 01:02 AM
i do remember pwise had a great explanation of how to diy a cai.

04-16-2005, 07:32 PM
I think Fibuz has or used to have a pretty good setup. You might PM him.

04-19-2005, 12:26 PM
If you guys are talking about removing the stock intake box that contains the stock air filter, then its simple, basically you take off everything that is in front of the MAF sensor, and then buy a MAF sensor adapter. I know Vibrant performance and Kartboy both make one. I have the Vibrant one and it seems to work fine, and it was cheaper. This allows you to securely mount an aftermarket cone filter (Mine is a K&N) to the stock Subaru mass airflow meter (MAF). Not a bad deal either, 60 bucks total for mine. Just my .02


05-04-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty short on cash.....
Getting instructions on how to make my own cold air intake and hooking it up would be excellent! Keep the stuff coming!

05-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Ok about this MAF. I do not know whether I have one or not. I called up Cobb and asked the guy there and he didn't think I have one but he isn't too sure. Anybody have a picture of their engine bay showing a MAF.

05-05-2005, 03:41 AM
I don't think the 2000-2004 have a MAF. I forgot what is was called. I don't have close ups, but if you look on my cardomain site and check out my engine pic. The black box where the cone filter is attached too.

05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
I believe it is called a MAP, but i may be completely off....

05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
MAF I think stands for Mass Air Flow, but I will stand corrected if someone knows different. Also known as the Air Flow Sensor across here in the UK.


05-12-2005, 07:02 PM
http://4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=130 this is a MAF sensor! second pic down!

05-13-2005, 12:56 AM
2000-2004's have a MAP sensor, different from the MAF. Forget off the top of my head what MAP stands for, and on top of that I think there is something called the IAT sensor that goes along with it, I'll see what I can dig up elsewhere and post back up.

05-13-2005, 03:14 AM
2000-2004's have a MAP sensor.

That's it...That a boy Ryan.. :wink:

05-20-2005, 03:17 PM
The MAF sensor legacies use whatever electrical magic (there's a wire, and somethin' else, that's all I know!) the MAF uses in order to determine just how much fuel to dump into the cylinders, where as the MAP sensors, with yes, the IAT, use the intake temp to determine fuel settings. I think the IAT also works better with DOHC, but I'm not sure..