PDA

View Full Version : Would like opinions on suspension for a '95 Legacy BD

peugoby
12-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey fellow SLi'ers!

Well after close to 165K miles I'd say my Legacy is well due for a suspension re-fresh.

I research, and browse the forums a lot to see what people think/like/dislike. For myself, it is hard to find a solid answer, and a link to the "search" bar is not going to be of much help to me.

Here is my situation:
I do a lot of road driving. Potholes, speed bumps, gravel, sometimes my Legacy does see snow. I consider myself to be an agressive driver (not an asshole) just someone who fully enjoys a nice open stretch of road. We have some sweet Mountain roads close to my house that I love hauling on. I will in the near future autocross my car occasionally. Mainly good dampening and getting rid of excess body movements is what I want to accomplish. I do like the look of a lowered Legacy, and am not against it - but I'm not simply just gonna "slam that shiz".

From what I have researched there are a few ways to get this done.
What I think interests me most is:
1. H&R sport springs on KYB AGX w/ new tophats installed.
2. H&R sport springs w/ KYB GR2's - I'd buy these right now but I'm not sure if the dampening is good enough on the GR2's. I'd rather fork over a little more cash and make sure I get something I enjoy than be pissed about cheaping out.
3. WRX suspension. Dont know a lot about the dampening effects on the legacy or if it even lowers it at all. Maybe like TEIN WRX springs on a WRX specific KYB GR2 would be nice??

As always I appreciate thoughtful posts from others. Legacy on!

OutbackGT
12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
I'd definitely go with the AGX option. If you're gonna autocross, you'll want the adjustability. Maybe look in to some Whiteline springs, though.

MXS
12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
I had the H&R springs and KYB AGXs on my 97 LGT. I really liked the way it handled, and the drop looked nice too. :smile: I took it for one run around an autocross course and it took the slaloms way better than my civic's stock suspension. here's a picture of how it looked:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/12/254525269_6faca69ae1-1.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/marnie/254525269/in/set-72157594267202644/)

+1 for adjustability. Kind of a pain to get under the car to adjust the rear AGXs but once you have them set you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I only went back to stock springs because the car was bottoming out on the rallycross course. I'm keeping the KYB's but the springs are for sale, make an offer if you are interested. as much as I liked them I know I shouldn't put them back on my car. :smile: Save some $$ on the springs so you can buy the better shocks!

Reason
12-30-2006, 01:19 AM
I had H&R springs with GR2 struts. I had the STi top hats but never installed them. It rode nice and had a good drop. It just wasn't as stiff as I thought it would be. I would like to do coilovers next time around.

If you want a good ride and stiffer handling I think the H&Rs with the GX, STi mounts and a rear sway would be nice. My friends old Camry had that set up (minus the STi mounts) and it was a fun car to ride. The car seemed quicker with the tight suspension it was great.

MXS
12-30-2006, 01:35 AM
oh yeah, forgot to add about the swaybar. mine has the larger Outback rear swaybar with Kartboy endlinks. recommended. :smile:

MXS
12-30-2006, 02:06 AM
me? mine's a 97, but the person who started the thread has a 95.

(I have Gil's old car)

Reason
12-30-2006, 02:10 AM
me? mine's a 97, but the person who started the thread has a 95.

(I have Gil's old car)

That's cool, were you a member before you bought his car?

MXS
12-30-2006, 02:15 AM
hey, where did your other post go. :-?

didn't know about this forum until after I bought the car (end of August)

Reason
12-30-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm glad she found her way home lol

What post?? :confused1:

peugoby
12-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Hmm sounds like the H&R sports w/ KYB AGx's are the way to go.

Reason & MXS how do the GR2's fair speed bumps and pot holes? I don't want to have to slow down to like 10mph everytime I see a speed bump. If the GR2's arent all that stiff I may just get those.. I like a little body roll. The stance looks great on your ride MXS thats just about perfect in my opinion.

A new RSB is definetely in the works along with replacing some bushings & new STi tophats. Also new motor mounts maybe Group N or STi (dont know much about the mounts other than the fact mine are poop right now).

Thanks for your opinions!

MXS
12-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't want to have to slow down to like 10mph everytime I see a speed bump. you won't have to, they aren't that stiff/low. :smile:

Reason
12-31-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't want to have to slow down to like 10mph everytime I see a speed bump. you won't have to, they aren't that stiff/low. :smile:

There's all size speed bumps. That set up isnt harsh at all.

deadlydave
12-31-2006, 04:32 PM
if you've got the cash, there are coilovers that are now made for our BD's, go that route. If you have some, but not enough cash, you can throw wrx springs and struts in.