PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Clutch noise/judder/problems **READ**

Pwise2326
06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Well most of you know the clutch in my 98 GT has been driving me crazy -- prematurely wearing out, eating throw-out bearings, making excessive noise, etc etc. A buddy of mine works in the service dept. at a new Subaru Dealership near my work so I stopped by and asked some questions. Turns out that my original plan of replacing the clutch (again) and other components that may be faulty (clutch fork, master cylinder, etc etc) and causing my throwout bearings to wear out quickly may actually be a (unknown to me) quite common problem with the transmission case. Apparently BD/BG (and possibly others) tranny cases are a common replacement item for the problems I'm experiencing. What happens is when the 2 halves of the transmission case come together, it forms a shaft that the release bearing rides on. What happens is this shaft wears out and allows the throwout bearing to kink to one side (basically doesnt sit where it's supposed to) and causes it to sit unevenly against the pressure plate, eventually grinding a ring into the pressure plate fingers, all the while causing that awful noise when the clutch is engaged (pedal out all the way). Only way Subaru says to fix it -- buy a new transmission case (bare shell), and have all the internals from your transmission swapped over -- now the case costs $400 bucks, and to swap everything over and put it back in your car the job comes out to around $1300 bucks! Only problem is that this is a temporary fix, over time the same wear will occur and the problem will start all over again. So trying to avoid shelling out that kind of money, you can either a.) buy a used transmission, or b.) buy PDM's Clutch Sleeve Repair kit for $135 shipped from www.tarmac-usa.com (http://www.tarmac-usa.com) .

The product is described as follows:

"This is the practical solution for the notorious grooving of the throw-out bearing collar on Subaru transmissions. This causes clutch chatter, uneven engagement, premature clutch & throw-out bearing failure. This results in expensive transmission case replacement that does not offer a permanent solution for the problem. This solves the problem forever!

Takes less than 10 minutes to install while replacing the clutch assembly or if you have the engine out for any reason. It does not require any modification or machining. It is removable and reusable when doing transmission repairs that require splitting the transmission case. The throw out bearing is available seperatly if you ever need to replace it.

This gives noticeable smoothness to the clutch engagement. It eliminates noisy clutch linkage rattles." (description taken from www.tarmac-usa.com (http://www.tarmac-usa.com) )

Case and point, this is the way to go, has many customers that have used it and had success that will back it up. I just purchased mine the other day so when it comes time to replace my clutch this summer I will give a full review on the product for you guys. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone having similar problems, or anyone wanting to avoid the problem that is planning on replacing their clutch soon that may want to spend an extra 130 bucks to prevent any problems in the future. If you can avoid spending $1300 bucks on a temporary solution and can spend 10% of that amount to solve your problem, that other 90% can go towards everything that you want it to and that it should go towards!

Hope this helps out, if anyone has/is using this product, please let us know how you like it!

gator gt
06-22-2005, 11:12 PM
100% true. Got mine from them as well.....sitting in my trunk so I'll have it when the clutch goes. No use spending $500 just for noise or shudder.

Thanks Ryan.

Tokio
06-23-2005, 03:16 PM
glad you took my advice, ryan...and nice sticky.

2deadlegs
07-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Nice plug.....sellout.

JPaul99GT
11-10-2005, 01:49 PM
i HATE that sound....

~JPaul

Pwise2326
01-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Well after putting off doing anything to fix my clutch and letting the sleeve repair kit sit in my trunk for A LONG TIME, my clutch finally reached the breaking point...literally. The wear on the shaft that the throwout bearing rides on was so severe that it caused the bearing to kink so bad that it implanted itself permanently into the clutch fork, which in turn caused the clutch fork to shatter into many pieces. Since I didn't have a lift handy and not being fond of the idea of dropping my transmission laying on the ground in my driveway, I went to a highly recommended tranny shop in the area. I got talking with the guy about the problem (this was pre-knowing that the clutch fork shattered...all I knew was that I wasn't able to shift into gears anymore without horrible grinding and crunching upon depression of the clutch pedal). I told him about the shaft and the sleeve kit and he was pretty impressed with the little thing. I ended up getting a phone call from him an hour later giving me the bad news, and almost 6 hours later received another phone call with him saying how perfect the sleeve repair kit was, it totally fixed that problem.

All in all, after getting a new clutch fork, a tranny pin, and some nastyness flushed out of my master cylinder (150k worth of sludge) + labor, I ended up paying $600 for the job. My local Subaru dealership wanted close to $1500 to replace the transmission case and swap over my internals...not even considering the replacement (and getting) a new clutch fork or cleaning out the master cylinder. Needless to say, that little $120 sleeve kit saved me nearly 8 times what it cost. And I don't think my clutch has ever felt or behaved this good, ever...NO JUDDER AT ALL. Smooth responsive engagement, and no more missed shifts. Only thing next is a stainless steel braided clutch cable and a better clutch in another 20k miles or so, and I'll be all set.

Reason
01-14-2006, 02:57 AM
The ghost of SLi shows himself. Glad you get that clutch taken care of finally. Your car was crying during each shift at the meet :wink:

duckncover182
01-31-2006, 02:15 AM
my clutch is about to burn out and i was going to just take it to a tranny shop or "clutch doctor" but im assuming that will be about 400 bucks or more. will this kit take care of the problem or should i start saving my money for a performance clutch?

SHOfast
03-16-2006, 08:23 AM
FYI for forum members.

I ordered this it to check it out and try it. I should be finished my install as soon as my heads are finished.

Customer service with is company is pretty bad in my experience.
I ordered this kit on Tuesday or Wednesday, the order screen blew up right after I entered account info. I didn't get a confirmation or order number or email. I called and emailed the company but got no response, called several times and tried several departments but got no answer everytime. I also ordered with express shipping selected. Well a week later I get the kit. I got no response back from them, it didn't ship for 3 days, and I was still charged for express shipping even though it took a week to get and not the 2 days I selected.

I am not trying to bad mouth this company, this is my first experience with them and I thought I would share. I think this kind of customer service should not be tolerated, so I will not recommend them.

I will post back with more info as I get close to installing it.

AussieDan
06-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I got mine through these guys when I upgraded my clutch:

http://www.hotsubarus.com/index.asp?Pag ... D=435&HS=1 (http://www.hotsubarus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=435&HS=1)

Service was great, and though the casing was only slightly worn on my trans I'm glad I don;t have to worry about it in the future.

Sarra
12-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Should I get mine fixed, or just go ahead and pre-empt myself and get a new WRX 5 speed now? :D

backpack09
02-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know who has these in stock? or can get them?
Hotsubarus.com does not have any instock and Tarmac's website is all screwed up.

Thanks,
Dan

Edit: you can get them at http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/gc8-drivetrain.html

RaTyBaStArD
06-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a 93' Legacy Wagon L, manual transmission w/EJ22 (stock everything). I'm wondering why my clutch peddle makes a squeaking noise when engaging it and then a winding noise when the peddle is to the floor? Is this the same problem you had? What could be the problem? Someone Help!!!
:twisted:

Huffer
10-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Bump. I have a high-pitched "whinging" sound when the clutch is engaged (pedal up), both in neutral and in 1st, 2nd + 3rd gears. When I press slightly on the clutch pedal, the sound goes away.

Same issue as Pwise? Same fix?

RaTyBaStArD
10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I talked to my buddies dad (that is a mechanic) and I figured out why my car was making the whinning noise. I guess it was the throwout bearing. He said dont worry about it until it gets really loud...LOL. Also the squeaking noise was the clutch cable rubbing against something. I'll get around to fixing it sometime, but for now ill have to save up some money for it. Shes still running strong though. :twisted:

SammyDaFish
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
what release bearing is used in this kit? where do you get one when you need to get a new throwout bearing?

SammyDaFish
11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
found the part numbers for replacement Throwout / Release bearing in case you lost the sticker that came with your kit.

Replacement numbers are BCA (Beck Arnley/National) 614-147 (pretty sure this is a Timkin number too. or NACHI #60scrn31t

They are for late 80's/early 90's Toyota trucks and 3SGT equipped vehicles.

TheAngryPidgeon
12-08-2008, 12:29 AM
This is the product you're talking about, correct?

http://www.tarmac-usa.com/index.php?productID=420

Huffer
12-08-2008, 07:40 AM
^^yep

TheAngryPidgeon
12-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks Huffer.

sexystover
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
i just got the pdm trans snout kit but i cant figure out how the throwout bearing clip goes on the clutch fork, does anyone have a picture or can explain how it works? does it use the factory throwout bearing clip holes that are in the clutch fork?? or do you just clip it on ???

is it possible to get just the clip also because i mangled mine trying to figure out how it went together

cleansubaru
01-20-2009, 01:31 AM
http://www.hotsubarus.com/browseproduct ... r-kit.HTML (http://www.hotsubarus.com/browseproducts/TranQuil-Snout-Repair-kit.HTML) seen this one around too.

jrg5066
08-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I have that chattering. Only happens in neutral and when the pedal is all the way released. I take it that buying the sleeve kit and having it installed wont solve the chattering? Just prevents the new tranny from messing up again? Or can I have the sleeve kit installed and say bye bye to chattering?

Transmission work is so expensive and want to do the absolute minimum. I'm at 177k miles.

GothicVash
09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
98 outback ej25 does the exact sympthoms of that i was just wondering if this is the correct part to do it my bearing hasnt blown yet thats all im waiting on but it sounds like its about to everytime i shift i worry about it. but for 130 its better then haveing to replace the whole tranny so if it is the right part to fix it i may have to get one.

B's Legacy Wagon
02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Cant seem to get the hotsubarus link to work? i did see the link for tarmac usa and it worked i see the kit. was currious i am not having any noises or shifting problems yet i feel alitlle vibration in my foot shift from 2 to 3rd was thinking about getting this kit as a pre-emptive strike before stuff goes wrong? i have a local cottmans trany shop right by my house and i think the do a trany check for free(would this include clutch?) ill have to stop by also have a clutch masters close by to call them. i did my breakes there and they did excellent work. got 120K on the vehicle now may time to have it checked out?

Huffer
02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
This is the kit you want:
http://www.smart-service.com/store-tran ... e-kit.html (http://www.smart-service.com/store-tranquil-sleeve-kit.html)

itsmidge
02-23-2010, 10:04 AM
if the clutch and pressure plate is all ready gone, (grinding around inside the case) would the flywheel be messed up at this point also?

Huffer
02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
You will want to have the flywheel resurfaced anyway... or you could drop the bills and get a LW flywheel if it's really bad.

itsmidge
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
all right good idea

r3v_v3ng3
01-11-2011, 01:23 AM
get this people... it will save your clutch kit. bought my car with a blown clutch and put on stage 2 clutch and it juddered like crazy and destroyed the replacement clutch in a year. it even left a deep groove on the flywheel. when i rebuilt my motor i checked the snout on the transmission and it was very uneven.

i got mine on ebay for the starting bid of $100 search SUBARU THROW BEARING REPAIR SLEEVE KIT. now i got a act clutch with lightened flywheel and no more juddering and know it won't be a waste.

so first thing to do before changing your clutch is run your hands on the snout or use a micrometer to check the outer diameter for smoothness and eveness it will save you hundreds and labor

J.McDonald Knives
03-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Seems that when I got my BG that it already had the sleeve installed and I didn't find out until earlier this week when I pulled my trans to replace the clutch. Great thing about PDM Snout Sleeves is that they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! If you need to replace your TO bearing and have the sleeve already installed you will need a bearing number 614147 for the BD/BG non-turbo and can get the bearing from PDM. They have great service and I highly recommend them. www.pdmusa1.com (http://www.pdmusa1.com)

d1giPhux
03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
+1 on these snout kits being awesome. Just got one installed on my car as well.. feels almost TOO damn smooth now. haha.. gonna take a while for me to get use to it!

prodriver1
09-16-2012, 11:43 AM
i got the snout kit and toyota t/o bearing kit on my car when i did the clutch recently but all is not good. it was perfect for the first couple weeks but now there is a loud squeak (sounds like a small burnout) when i start out from a dead stop in first, no noise in any other gears (unless im starting out in 2nd from a dead stop) no noise in reverse either and once the clutch is fully engaged it makes no noise. what could this be? it has baffled me and other "real" mechanics i have showed.

Huffer
09-16-2012, 03:51 PM
You used a toyota throwout bearing?

My guess is that something has come undone and when the clutch is disengaged there is too much play on the bearing.

prodriver1
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
You used a toyota throwout bearing?

My guess is that something has come undone and when the clutch is disengaged there is too much play on the bearing.
it doesnt make noise when the clutch is disengaged, or when its engaged, it only makes a brief squeak when its in the process of engaging. in fact sometimes when on flat surfaces (rare as i live on a hill called Duluth MN) and let the clutch out very gingerly it wont make any noise.

prodriver1
09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
and the toyota t/o bearing came with the snout kit, as i now have a titanium sleeve over the trans snout.

J.McDonald Knives
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Sounds like theres no lube on the snout sleeve causing the bearing to squeak. I have the same kit on mine and I lubed the sleeve as well as the input shaft before sliding the bearing over the sleeve. I have no noises from the clutch area.

prodriver1
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Sounds like theres no lube on the snout sleeve causing the bearing to squeak. I have the same kit on mine and I lubed the sleeve as well as the input shaft before sliding the bearing over the sleeve. I have no noises from the clutch area.
thats what i originally thought:( the clutch kit i put on had all these warnings about not putting to much lube on the shaft (lol) so i didnt use enough i think. :smt011

J.McDonald Knives
09-17-2012, 08:03 PM
thats what i originally thought:( the clutch kit i put on had all these warnings about not putting to much lube on the shaft (lol) so i didnt use enough i think. :smt011
Its important to always keep your shaft lubricated!! :smt021 :grin:

Ploddit
03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Is this a problem I am likely to encounter on a 2,0 BH too? If so I will get one as I am at 80000 miles I have already found a new DMF very cheap just in case.
Thanks guys.

Rust2Runner
05-26-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm going to toss one of these sets in my rebuild, but I've had a bit of confusion with this "fix". The OP fixed what seems to me to be a ISB issue with a sleeve and TOB? Does this sleeve quiet the common faulty ISB failure without replacing the ISB? Or, am I wrong in understanding that the noise when engaged is typically the internal bearing not the TOB?

jjay03
02-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Damn I just did a 5mt swap and replaced the clutch wish I knew about this. :(