PDA

View Full Version : POP goes 2nd gear.....sigh......

bakergtt
06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
So Sunday getting read to head to my aunt and uncles for a family fathers day gathering. Beautiful sunny blue sky, stereo bumping, shades ons. Start to take off from a stop light, just cruising not racing or anything just enjoying the day and as i shify into 2nd gear POP!!!!!! clank...clank....clank.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Put the clutch in and roll to a stop on the side of the road. what the hell happen?!?!?! Try letting out the clutch....clank...clank....oh no :(
make some calls and get the car to Rallitek where it sits over night. So monday comes by and noone expects to see my car there so i get a call from the guys at the shop and tell the story. So later that day they pull the tranny and tear it apart. 2nd gear it toasted and im thinking how the hell did that happen. i wasnt doing anything bad at the time it went. then right away i think, DAMN IT!!!! those miss shifts tending to hit 4th i hit 2nd oh at 60-80mph probably had nothing to do with it :roll:
well any ways getting a rex 5mt cuz they have it and its cheap. if i had the $6500 for a STI 6mt i would but i need the car running.

I will post pics up later today as im going down to the shop to takes pics right now.

bakergtt
06-22-2005, 08:20 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/VoodooAdam/tranny2.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/VoodooAdam/tranny.jpg

pdawg
06-22-2005, 09:55 PM
That sux but I am glad everthing is working out. how lucky are you to have Rallitek close by.

gator gt
06-22-2005, 11:08 PM
You can get a (used) 6MT for cheaper than $6500.....I got one for $3750 shipped to my door...and its the tougher JDM version (14k on the clock) but since its designed by Porsche and built by the Japanese.....thats one stout tranny.

But then you need the rear diff for that too along with the driveshaft.....

you'll need the rear diff for the WRX tranny too, right? Or do you already have one sitting around?

GGT

sheepdog
06-23-2005, 09:35 AM
knarly second gear dude. Good luck with the rex tranny.

bakergtt
06-23-2005, 11:46 AM
You can get a (used) 6MT for cheaper than $6500.....I got one for $3750 shipped to my door...and its the tougher JDM version (14k on the clock) but since its designed by Porsche and built by the Japanese.....thats one stout tranny.

But then you need the rear diff for that too along with the driveshaft.....

you'll need the rear diff for the WRX tranny too, right? Or do you already have one sitting around?

GGT

Yeah i got hooked up with the diff for free. Where did you get the tranny from?

Its all done too!! 3 day turn around. thats quick :shock:

gator gt
06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Free diff....not many of those floating around.

I got my tranny from Innovative Automotive (aka East Coast Scooby...althouh he moved from the east coast to Arizona.)

Stephen Clark is the man in charge. A very patient man as he answered many a question I had before I purchased. I got the shifter assembly, slightly used JDM clutch and tranny crossmember with it. Non-DCCD (regular viscous center diff) and SureTrac front diff. I'm complimenting it with a 91 Legacy Turbo LSD 3.9 rear diff (R160). If that ends up busting, I'll spring for the R180 (STi rear diff) package.

What are you running....mid 200whp? It'll be a matter of time before you wear the WRX 5MT as well. I almost kept the 5MT and had it rebuilt but decided against it.....no time to scrimp when I haven't decided on a final power figure yet.

GGT

Tris_STi
06-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Gator's right.. those WRX trannies are shit. Good luck with that thing, you're gonna need it. Although I've heard if you drive with mechanical sympathy you can extend the life a fair bit..

No more money-shifting, okay?

:lol:

bakergtt
06-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Cool I should get in touch with that guy so if i need anything he will know who i am.

We will see

Reason
06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
That ruins a nice day! I'm glad to hear Rallitek hooked you up quick. I should try to talk Sean into setting up a shop here in New England, THINK ABOUT IT SEAN :wink: .

You have a sick ride already, you should save up for that STi 6mt, get things done right.

gator gt
06-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah, if you contact Stephen and purchase a couple small things from time to time to upgrade your ride...by the time you're ready to get the 6MT (and browse NASIOC for the deals, cause they're not on his website!) you'll have some face time with him already. Not that you would need it, cause he is cool to deal with...but every little bit helps.

Tris is correct.....with some TLC you can make it last but...

TLC = slow, purposefully timed shifts = not as much fun.

If at all possible go for the JDM version. They have steel shift forks (vs Aluminum in the US versions) and the gearing is better spaced (in 5th and 6th) than the US version. The US version has a taller 5th and 6th for highway cruising and better mileage. But there are numerous complaints about crunching 5th cause they are spaced out of sync with the rest of the tempo of the original 6MT design.

You'll spin faster at cruising speed, but it'll shift oh-so much nicer.

GGT

Pwise2326
06-24-2005, 02:49 AM
GGT -- how much did you pick up the JDM 6MT for shipped??? With everything that is (crossmember, linkage, rear diff and drive shaft, clutch/flywheel etc etc???).

gator gt
06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
whoa there High Ho Silver!! lol.... I didn't get all the items in one place.

I picked up the rear LSD diff and right rear LSD halfshaft from a yard in Utah. $215 shipped
I picked up the left rear LSD halfshaft in Colorado (same year car, 91) $65 shipped

(Supposedly the lefties are harder to find...???...the place I got the diff didn't have it and a lot of places I called only had right rear LSD halfshafts; yes there is a difference between LSD and non-LSD axles)

I then purchased $50 worth of seals and CV boots to redo the side seals on the diff, rear diff cover gasket (LSD has different one then non-LSD too) and replace the cracked boots on the halfshafts. Yup, already did the rear diff stuff and am looking to attack the boots soon.

Most people will tell you to get re-built axles if you have boot issues, but mine are already out of the car...so its not costing me a potential fortune to get the mechanic to take them out, rebuild, re-install...blah blah

I used Car-Part.com for it...and thats how I found my 93 Legacy Turbo crossmember too. some yards were asking $350 for the rear diff ALONE!!

Just another plug to SHOP AROUND GUYS & GALS!!!

Onto the biggen....Stephen was running a NASIOC special:

$3499
JDM 6MT (22,500 km used = just shy of 14,000 miles)
SureTrac front diff
non-DCCD (regular 4kgf viscous center diff)
6MT shifter assembly
JDM OEM slightly used clutch/flywheel assembly

While I was on the phone with him, I asked if it came with the tranny crossmember and he said no, but since he had them hanging from the rafters, he'd toss it in for me (mint condition too!).

While I was getting items from him, I told him I'd purchase a Walbro 255 fuel pump ($90) and JDM Ver8 turbo inlet ($20) (which is has a larger diameter from the airbox for a longer length than the US version) which he strapped onto the tranny.

S&H to my house door (just shy of a week) via BAX Global with full tracking: $254

I still don't have the driveshaft (none too worried as a good driveline shop can shorten and balance mine...or I can get one from a 4EAT equipped Legacy)

That pretty much sums it up....

...if you have any further questions....feel free

GGT

bakergtt
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
You wana know whats crazy with this rex tranny is doing 110 in four and still have room to go in that gear and all of 5th still :shock:

gator gt
06-24-2005, 05:54 PM
WRX trannies are known for their 'tallness' and the RS/GT trannies for their quickness/'shortness'.

a lot of people in the community feel it should have been reversed from the factory.