PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry + Headlight Flash + Other random questions.

d1giPhux
01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
When using the keyless entry on a 99 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd, i remember reading a post that the headlights are supposed to / can flash the lights. Mine do not do this, so I use the horn as an indication that the alarm / keyless entry is activated. How can i make the headlights flash / enable this option?

Also, another random question. When a cd changer is factory installed in a subaru, where do they locate it at? Which models of the BD series cars were these installed in? Or was it a factory extra option only?

If i decide to buy a 'factory security upgrade' system, how hard do you think it would be to install? How much do you think i would be charged if i just had some shop install it?

Okay.. im done all the random questions now!

Thanks! :grin:

Huffer
01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
1. headlight (sidelight) flash - dunno. Mine does it, but it doesn't honk the horn either. Haven't figured out how to make the horn honk.

2. cd changer is usually installed under front passenger seat, or in the trunk, mounted to the parcel tray. In mine it was under the seat.

3. I would estimate $60-80 in labor, and about 3hours if a Subaru dealership were to do it. I recommend going there, unless you have a shop that has Subaru service and wiring manuals.

d1giPhux
01-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Hmm, can you turn your horn on and off by holding both buttons down at once? Thats how it works for me.. i can have it in either silent / horn mode.. but no blinking of the lights for me =/.

I would really like it to blink the lights, rather than beep, or maybe just do both.. since it would be used at night and during the day.. hmmm.

I have a sub installed under the drivers seat.. but i dont think i have the cd changed, even though i have a limited version.. but maybe i should check again! *hopes* :lol:

AussieDan
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
The way they're usually wired up they'll flash the parking light, not the headlights. There is one wire (white iirc) from the alarm unit that hooks into the appropriate harness.

That said, I actually cut mine because there was a problem with the alarm that causes the lights to stay on when they flash, I kind of like the stealth factor and I usually arm the alarm as I walk away anyway so I wouldn't see the lights flash anyway.

You can find some info here:

http://www.randomsoup.com/subie/huggyalarm.html

Of course when figuring this stuff out the FSM is always useful too ;)

d1giPhux
01-02-2007, 06:31 PM
^ True that.. i just suck with electric stuff unless its overly simplified, and the stuff in the FSM Doesnt look too easy to me sometimes. Haha. Also, on my other LGT Ltd, it did not flash the parking lights either.. strange.

edit: thanks for the link BTW, thats some good stuff =]