PDA

View Full Version : BSR19XZ vs BSR19XXZ Rear Sway Bars

warrior
01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
From that Whiteline group buy on Toronto Subaru Club, I opted for the BSR19XZ.. the 18-20-22mm adjustable bar.

What I got was the BSR19XXZ, the race bar. I cannot find any specs on this thing.. Whiteline's website has no info regarding it except that its a 22mm static, compared to the BSR19XZ which is 20mm static.

Whiteline has this description:

Optimum swaybar sizes vary greatly with drivetrain type and other suspension mods used. RACE products are not designed for road use and may require other modifications to the vehicle or chassis.

Should I be scared cause this is a road use car and I already installed it? :oops:

OutbackGT
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Nah, you should be fine. You're running aftermarket endlinks, right?

Huffer
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
No problems that I see, except that maybe if your car was tech-inspected at an autox comp you might be put into a higher class because the bar isn't certed for road legal use.

But it's a 22mm bar, that's all that would scare me. I found that going from 18-20 was enough of a jump for me, until I upgrade the suspension/tires. Too snappy in the wet/snow.

However - the new Toyota Camry (though a bigger, heavier car) does roll with 24mm front and rear swaybars.

rougeben83
01-02-2007, 03:37 PM
The old Taurus SHO's had 24mm f/26mm r swaybars so it isn't really that big in the absolute sense.

What size is your fsb? It's more helpful to gauge the size of the bar relative to the other bar that you're using it with to infer how it'll affect your handling.

Anyway, my IPD rear bar is 22mm; it's the only size IPD makes for the BE/BH.

Does the race bar come with multiple holes on the end, like on the smaller bar? You can set it to the hole closest to the ends of the bar, that should give you the softest setting.

Wiscon_Mark
01-02-2007, 05:19 PM
You'll probably be fine, but be ready for some oversteer with a bigger bar. The bigger you go, the higher the stiffness, exponentially.

warrior
01-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Great, thanks guys. I don't have a FSB.. yet. It's stock. It is adjustable and I have it set on the softest setting.

The endlinks are the steel flexible ones, not the allow heavy duty so maybe the little bit of flexing is giving for a not so snappy read end.

rougeben83
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
What's the stock fsb size? 18mm? I have a stock 19mm on mine. The only time I ever got the rear to swing unintentionally was on ice and booting the accelerator - and still it was pretty controlled. Heck, I still have to flick the car a little to get it to slide in the dirt.

You'll be fine...even with alloy endlinks you'll still be fine with regular driving IMO. The tendency of AWD cars is to understeer at turn-in to begin with; just be careful with your throttle application at the apex and you can control how much the rear will swing out; the trick with the bigger rsb is that it'll do it at a slightly faster rate.

scottzg
01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
since a swaybar with longer 'arms' will bend differently than one with shorter arms, you can't compare bars from one car to another.

When you're hard on the throttle and brakes its easy to control a car with a big rear bar, it's when you're just cruisin' fast that it feels 'uncomfortable'

I would be nervous driving on windy roads in the rain with a 22mm bar on an otherwise stock car. It's no problem to drive around with a big rear bar until you've got to get on the brakes in a panic move while turning a bit and the car spins. Or you come into a corner a little to fast while just cruising along and the rear starts to go while just coasting, so you have no pedal action to save it with.

not to mention there's better ways to get a car to handle that way w/o a gigantic swaybar.

warrior
01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
not to mention there's better ways to get a car to handle that way w/o a gigantic swaybar.

You're right, but I never wanted the race bar to begin with. It's what they sent me.. I'll just have to be a little more careful and it has been raining here with wet/icy roads and I think I'm doing ok :)

Sarra
01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Get a matching front sway? Hit a bump with your front left wheel, and your front right wheel will hop too. ;)