PDA

View Full Version : differential replacement

bubaru21
01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
my differential just recently fried. the shop who last spring rebuilt my transmission, is also who i will have replace my differential. i was just curious is the differential part of the transmission/transaxel or is it a seperate part? it is the front differential that is fried.i dont want to argue with the shop and now know what i am talking about. the reason i would argue is becuase he is talking like he will charge me to do this but i am thinking if the differential is part of the transaxel then it should be covered under the warranty. also i am writing this in a hurry so if it doenst make much sense i will edit later.
thanks.

AussieDan
01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
The front and center differentials are physically housed inside the same casing and share oil with the transmission.

That said, whether the diff is covered under a repair warranty from the shop would depend on whether they did any work on it or if you can prove that the failure is due to something they did when repairing the transmission.

Huffer
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
manual or auto?

bubaru21
01-03-2007, 08:15 PM
auto. and doubt i can prove any damage done becuase they did i a good job or i think they did. they may have rebuilt the tranny and then just put the old differential back on. that could be why it died. just old age.

Reason
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
auto. and doubt i can prove any damage done becuase they did i a good job or i think they did. they may have rebuilt the tranny and then just put the old differential back on. that could be why it died. just old age.

If you need a new tranny I have a 4EAT for sale ;-)

bubaru21
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
tranny should be good and if not then it will def be replaced by them becuase it was only last spring that it was rebuilt. sorry about your car man that sucks. thanks for the offer but if the tranny is gone i will jsut have a 5mt put in.

ivwarrior
01-04-2007, 09:17 PM
The front and center differentials are physically housed inside the same casing and share oil with the transmission.

That said, whether the diff is covered under a repair warranty from the shop would depend on whether they did any work on it or if you can prove that the failure is due to something they did when repairing the transmission.

The front diff only shares oil with the manual transmission. With autos, they're seperate.

If your shop rebuilt your auto transmission, I doubt they did anything at all with the front diff, unless you were having problems with it at the time.

bubaru21
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
that is what i figured