PDA

View Full Version : Lights at the 4EAT shifter not always on?!?!

acjx880
01-04-2007, 04:41 AM
HI guys,

Need your help here...

Lastnight, when I took the car out to get gas, I noticed that the lights by the gear shift which displays PRND321 wasn't on eventhough I had already turned on my headlights and released the brakes after shifting into D. Luckily, the display on the instrument cluster was working fine, but just the display by the shifter gates did have any lights. And even after a 15 mins drive to the gas station and back and numerous re-starts the lights failed to come on.

This morning when I got in the car and turned on the headlights after starting the car, the lights beside the shifter came back on again. So I guess it's not a blown fuse, but anyone have any recommendation on where I should start to check for this connection problem?

I have had same problems before, but the lights would usually come back in one or two attemps if I just shift to Neutral, then back to Drive.

Any pointers are welcome!

Thanks

deadlydave
01-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I had a similar problem-mine stopped lighting alltogether, but they started working after I wired my underseat neons in for some reason so I never bothered to take a look

Huffer
01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Wiggly bulb under translucent panel.

acjx880
01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Wiggly bulb under translucent panel.

Thanks Huffer, as soon as I can find some instructions somewhere on how to take it apart, I'll look into it!

Cheers!

badbasser98
01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
The shifter trim just pulls up (you may have to pull the e-brake up a bit to clear the handle), then there are four screws, I think, to the silver piece out that the shifter slides through, the light should be inder that... You would be able to twist the socket from the bottom to unlock it and pull it out.

EDIT:

If you want to wait till this weekend I can do a small write up with pics, etc. if you feel uncomfortable digging into your console...

shazapple
01-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Edit, this is for the BD/BG legacys, but shoudl be somewhat similar. Either way its not that difficult to take apart the center console.

To get to that bulb is a bit intensive. Pull the ebrake and put the shifter into 1 2 or 3 (this give you extra room to move panels)

open the center console and remove the two screws holding on the trim around the handbrake. The trim around the shifter does not have any screws and should pull off with a bit of a tug. Turn that piece 90 and lift it over the shifter. Remove the two small screws on the shifter handle. Theres 4 screws that hold the shifter display on. Remove those as well and now you should be able to get underneath and access the bulb.
I believe its a 194 bulb

acjx880
01-04-2007, 04:26 PM
If you want to wait till this weekend I can do a small write up with pics, etc. if you feel uncomfortable digging into your console...

I would greatly appreciate that as I don't really have much mechanical experience! Thank you, badbasser!