PDA

View Full Version : help with my power

0utbackmel
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
will it sound like crap? i already have the cat back mod (2.25" midpipe with no resonator through a 2.25"" out muffler) planning to add the borla header with the stiock cat. any opinions as to how it will sound?

Tris_STi
06-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Borla headers sound great, but I'd lose your cats, as the stock ones probably won't adapt to the header anyway.

..and it won't sound like crap, trust me.

0utbackmel
06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
would i lose my low end torque/0-40 acceleration power?

ive heard the borla is a direct bolt on piece and will fit with the stock cat.

Perdue
06-23-2005, 09:39 PM
The Borla header is SUPPOSED to be a direct fit. I had to drill flanges to fit on the stud in the head and it took 5hrs to do a 1hr install. Now it's cracked at a weld for the second time, but hey, that's life eh?

I would change your cat pipe out for one with a high flow cat. You'll pick up a pretty good bit of power from that. Don't use an exhaust diameter over 2.25" either, and you should keep your low end power in check. If you can get a good deal on the Borla, go for it; Otherwise, I'd not advise it after my experiences (I'm not the only one who's had problems)

Tokio
06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
the borla IS a direct fit for the ej25. be sure to get a gen. IV, though.

also, the borla is dyno'ed as giving +5 lbs. of torque...and no HP gains.

Borla headers sound great, but I'd lose your cats, as the stock ones probably won't adapt to the header anyway.
...BAD idea. its not necessary at all, plus your car wont pass any inspections, if you state has them (which if they dont now, they soon will).

Just unbolt the exhaust manifold from the block and the cat (be sure not to damage the o2 sensor) and bolt on the borla (with new exhaust gaskets). its a 30 minute job if you arent familiar with simple tools. be sure to hit the nuts with WD40 the day before you tackle this, by the way.

Tris_STi
06-24-2005, 01:24 PM
I could probably coax someone with a turbo legacy into posting their 'state dyno' sheets proving that even CATLESS, Legacies run incredibly clean, and below the legal limits. (Unless they're really lax in Utah) So poo on you and your eco-hippie stuff. Get a haircut. :wink:

0utbackmel -
If you're concerned about your emissions, that's your bag, so throw some cats in there. If, on the other hand, you're not so uptight about it, how would you feel about replacing the cats with high-flow silencers? Running catless, which is basically straight-pipe, can be pretty mean for daily driving, and sounds like hell on wheels at WOT :twisted: and especially after having headers installed.

You won't lose too much lower end, but the top end gain will be there. . . You'll notice better breathing up top that could only be improved with the addition of AVCS.

Tokio
06-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Down missy, Down...

I could probably coax someone with a turbo legacy...

im sure you could, but what does that matter?! how does a turbo ej22 relate to the borla header for the n/a ej25?? cat or no cat.

Legacies run incredibly clean, and below the legal limits.

i want whatever youre smoking. seriously. thats some strong shit.

If you're concerned about your emissions, that's your bag, so throw some cats in there. If, on the other hand, you're not so uptight about it, how would you feel about replacing the cats with high-flow silencers? Running catless, which is basically straight-pipe, can be pretty mean for daily driving, and sounds like hell on wheels at WOT and especially after having headers installed.

its not that im concerned with emissions AT ALL. however, if you would put down your yu-gi-o cards long enough, you might see what the emissions testing is coming to here in the states. and by the way, you would know all about running catless how? why? im sure thats not whats going on under youre hood. unlike you, however, i work on cars that ARE catless... and none of the N/A ones pack a four banger.

is running catless cool? hell yes. is it practical on a daily driver? hell no.

am i an eco-hippie? no, i just dont live with my folks and eat captain crunch all day. :roll: get a hair-cut, get a job, lose the wonderoos and grow up.

Tris_STi
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Because turbo legacies require more fuel, they're more prone to higher emissions, right? . . . And since we're talking about exhaust, and you wanted to discuss emissions, it's only fair that he knows he can run catless and still pass emissions. Whether or not it'd be a practical or comfortable daily driver is up to how much burble he can stand..

I get G13, btw. It IS good shit. :wink:

I understand California is now heading up our emissions standards and taking them on tour throughout the nation, however, there's a VERY good chance one may pass emissions with a '4 banger' running catless. (btw, emissions are only done when the vehicle changes hands. True in your state?)

Okay, I concede the eco-hippie remark, but my hairstyle is a part of me, and I despise Yu-Gi-Oh. Stupidest card game ev4r. I work two jobs, don't live at home, and I rarely eat Cap'n Crunch, let alone General Mills products. (although I do like Cheerios as finger food :D ), and while I'd like to grow up, it's just not comfortable now. Oh, and I'm not sure what 'the wonderoos' are, but my 'wonderoos' are none of your biznazzz, keep your hands off my genitals you sick lobster-chomper.

:lol: You know I love you, Tokie-Okie-O!

Tokio
06-24-2005, 05:00 PM
oh lobstah-chompah huh? thats a low blow!!!

emissions testing is going to be a yearly thing starting next year here in maine... as it is in cali i believe...

oh, and OBDIII... its coming soon and its NOT good.

and, catless legacies will not pass emissions.

and, 96+ automatic subarus will not be happy with a lack of cats...like CELS? knock yourself out.

Tris_STi
06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, CELs are fine by me and here's why:

. . . We're modding cars, ----SHHHHH! Don't tell no one, okay?

As long as there's a resistor to be strategically placed, a CEL can be vanquished, and you should know this, Jesse. As long as we continue to modify vehicles, we might as well not procede in a ghetto fashion --and that means doing proper modz, like fooling your car's system so it doesn't know we've modded it. But that wasn't the point, was it? No...

prodrivelegacy
06-24-2005, 07:54 PM
well i dont have to worry about emissions checks so i dont know what to tell ya about that...but i personally dont like the sound minus the cats

oh yea....clean running and legacy dont belong in the same sentence
and dont be hatin on the capn crunch!

lets all just love each other

Tokio
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
theres modding cars.... and theres blindly doing things you may read in honda magazines. i try to stay away from the later.

if the part you remove/replace happens to be part of the closed-loop cycle... how do you simply throw a resistor in the mix and call it good? you dont. at least not on a smart car... like the outback in question, or my GT.

while that may be an awesome thing to do on your sedan... it wont fly with mine. im jealous, no doubt... but in the end i play by different rules.

oh, and dont be so sure you dont have to worry about emissions just yet.

once florida goes full blown... georgia and all the rest will fall in line.

prodrivelegacy
06-28-2005, 03:53 PM
once florida goes full blown... georgia and all the rest will fall in line.
god i hope not

Tokio
06-28-2005, 07:20 PM
yeah! give the crazy-ass politcians a chance to ruin all our fun, and suddenly communism doesnt sound so bad.

Tris_STi
06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Jesse, communism NEVER sounded so bad, it's just that we had other options, and a whole regime-change is just so un-american.. I mean, it takes real WORK to achieve that, and we, as americans, owe a vow of laziness.

Perdue
06-29-2005, 04:36 PM
A catless NA is way too loud and sounds like poop. I ran catless for about a month and finally ordered a high flow cat and had it put it on. If emissions doesn't get you, the sound police will.

And just so you all know, the o2 bung spacer that Rallitek Carries works fine. Never had a CEL since I installed it.

Reason
06-30-2005, 05:02 AM
A catless NA is way too loud and sounds like poop. I ran catless for about a month and finally ordered a high flow cat and had it put it on. If emissions doesn't get you, the sound police will.

And just so you all know, the o2 bung spacer that Rallitek Carries works fine. Never had a CEL since I installed it.

Didn't you have one of those eBay mufflers? I could be wrong but I thought you had a fart can. Those suck period. If you run an open exhaust all the way from the header to just a resonated muffler of course it will sound like shit. A highflow cat and a GOOD muffler should sound good (with an upgraded header of course)

Svenerachi1
07-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Tris

a regime change is unamerican?

REGIME CHANGE IS WHAT WE DO!!
Ever heard of the American Revolution...
or Desert Storm....
Operation Iraqi Freedom....
BS Name for ruining the country of Afghanistan....
" " of (Your Country's Name Here) .......

Point made?

Sorry dude, I'm the least patriotic person posting here so lets all just understand that Regime Change is the one thing THIS Regime is good at.

Reason
07-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Lets stay on subject.