PDA

View Full Version : I need a clutch...what to get for my gen1?

2deadlegs
06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Yesterday I was on my way to work when I noticed the clutch wasn't acting like it should so I am going to replace it before it leaves me stranded.

What should I get? I would like something that can take the abuse of daily driving and the occasional peel out for the hell of it.

All advice is greatly appreciated. Website links are always good too...

Pwise2326
06-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Well first off is it for your turbo or wagon? second, are you going to be swapping in the ej22t into your wagon, and third, you have a cable clutch right? Not sure if that would factor into anything differently, but I'd go with either the exedy organic sport clutch, the pressure plate has thicker fingers and is made really well, don't know if it will work, but it should, you can find it for 300-400 bucks. Other good option would be ACT sport clutch kit, a little more clamp load and also well built, and IIRC cheaper, maybe 300 and change. Shop around between different vendors in the links section and figure out who has the best price before you spend too much money. You probably already know this but when you swap it over check out your flywheel, make sure it looks decent, maybe get it resurfaced, or if you want to spend an extra 300 bucks, pick up a lightened flywheel from either of the above companies for a little more pep and faster revs. I don't know if you have the same judder problems that us hydraulic guys have, but look into the PDM clutch sleeve repair kit for 130 bucks to save you headaches in the future and for nice smooth engagements.

Tris_STi
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
First off, you need a pull-type cable clutch. Turbos are Hydraulic.

Any wrx clutch and flywheel combo will work, but you have to have all or none, no mixing/matching. It's pretty simple. Just as EJ engines and trannies are legos, the clutches are similar. I also think, but don't quote me, that the 2.5 pull type clutches will work as well. Since it's made for bigger displacement, I have a feeling it might be heavier duty for the 2.2l. Again, not sure of this, as I've never heard of it being done.

Lightweight flyweels are awesome, but don't go too light; there is such a thing. For example, with your engine, 9lb fws have been known to cause problems due to the faster up-revving and the lack of engine braking in the down-revs, due to there being less rotational mass to absorb the power. It's a two way street.
Of course, the trick is balance; good results have been reported with the exedy 13.9lb flywheel, so I'd start there.. save the blistering performance for your SS, eh 2DL?

:D

bakergtt
06-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a 14lbs flywheel you can buy from me.

Reason
06-23-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm a fan of Exedy, I bought an Exedy clutch for my CRX after driving my nephews Eclipse. I hear nothing but good things about Exedy. As for flywheels I wouldnt go lighter than 12lbs, I would go 12 or 13 lbs myself, but bakergtt has a 14lb one forsale, if the price is good for you I would go for it. It would be an improvement.

2deadlegs
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
This is for my N/A wagon. I guess I will stick with something along the lines of OEM because spending 3 times the price of the car on a part for said car is a bit extreme to me. I also have to have the damn thing installed but I got a guy who will do it for $200.00. So if I pay 350.00 total out the door I wouldn't feel too bad. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass or I would do it myself and save.

If someone knows someone that can get me a good clutch cheap then I am game but I don't want to pay more than $175.00 for a clutch kit.

Thanks guys.

NDBBM
06-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Never forget Ebay. http://motors.search.ebay.com/subaru-le ... acatZ33726 (http://motors.search.ebay.com/subaru-legacy_Transmission-Drivetrain_W0QQcatrefZC2QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR2QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ33726)
The guy selling the Exedy clutch kit had other Subaru kits up earlier today so if the one listed isn't what you need you may try emailing and see what else he has on hand. There is also a couple OEM kits listed if you want to go that route.

Tris_STi
06-23-2005, 05:58 PM
mm... ebay?

Bakergt - What do you want for the FW? Shipping to 98372?

PM me, please.

bakergtt
06-23-2005, 08:01 PM
sorry guys one of the techs at Rallitek wanted it so I gave it to him today. Sorry again. i would offer more but nothing else in the clutch was worth selling.

Pwise2326
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah OEM's probably your best shot, but I doubt it will be that cheap, it will probably be around the same range in price. Check out the site I posted that has all the OEM subaru parts for decent prices, it may be a little pricey shipped from CT, but figure out which would be cheaper between your local dealership or this plus shipping down there.

2deadlegs
06-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Has anyone ever done a clutch in their roo? IS it hard? Can I do it with the car on ramps?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as always.

Tris_STi
06-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Uhh.. can you hold the tranny, or do you have enough jacks to do it? It's not terrible if you drop the tranny straight down.

2deadlegs
06-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I could just buy tranny holder for my floor jack (Or a tranny jack) if it will save me a ton of cash and I could do it myself. Can it be done on ramps or does it have to be up high?

galek_98gt
06-30-2005, 10:52 PM
i'd also like to know about how much work is gonna be needed for swapping the clutch. my new just came in and i'm wondering about the how many hours i should expect this to take, seals that will need replaced and what fluids to buy. my clutch uses a hydraulic system not a cable.