PDA

View Full Version : HID retrofit into JDMs?

ooberdoob
01-05-2007, 06:29 PM
i can't believe this hasn't come up yet.

i'm seriously considering getting some quality HID low beams, has anyone done this? was HID available over in jap'n on 2nd gens?

i don't know if the projectors were designed for them, or if they are too shallow or what.

thanks!

AussieDan
01-05-2007, 07:04 PM
I've been thinking about it for a while, but never had the time or cash to do anything about it.

Haven't seen anyone who's done this mod, but I'm sure it would be possible if you could track down a suitable oem projector (to do it right).

The other option would just be to use a HID retrofit kit for the H1 bulb, but you'd have all the problems related to them in addition to the RHD pattern.

Wiscon_Mark
01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I think it has come up, but it was only "metioned in passing"

I have been thinking about it too. I'm still not impressed with the overall projector performance.

galek_98gt
01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
something brighter would be nice

Wiscon_Mark
01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
something brighter would be nice

whoa.

Hiya! :grin:

ooberdoob
01-05-2007, 10:17 PM
about the RHD/LHD issue, it's not that severe with my silverstars, but i do fear the 2x lumens and how sharply the difference would be displayed.

what i love about projectors is the prismatic cutoff.

i wonder if it's possible to swap in newer projectors?

or other projectors? i know audi's HID set up is highly rated.

auto leveling for teh money shot. but $$$$$ :(

galek_98gt
01-05-2007, 10:18 PM
[quote="galek_98gt":15jja1pj]something brighter would be nice

whoa.

Hiya! :grin:[/quote:15jja1pj]

the lurker has returned

blackgtbeauty
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
[quote="Wiscon_Mark":sf3mzi1m][quote="galek_98gt":sf3mzi1m]something brighter would be nice

whoa.

Hiya! :grin:[/quote:sf3mzi1m]

the lurker has returned[/quote:sf3mzi1m]

Yeah wadaminute where have you been? :?:

galek_98gt
01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
i've separated from the military and have been between getting a new job and looking for a house. very busy lately. its been stress after stress tryin to get established.

blackgtbeauty
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
about the RHD/LHD issue, it's not that severe with my silverstars, but i do fear the 2x lumens and how sharply the difference would be displayed.

what i love about projectors is the prismatic cutoff.

i wonder if it's possible to swap in newer projectors?

or other projectors? i know audi's HID set up is highly rated.

auto leveling for teh money shot. but $$$$$ :(

You could do a retrofit into a stock headlight or JDM one piece non-projector.

Get either a 350Z or S2000 Projector/bulb/ballast setup and hack away. I got a 350Z setup for $250.

Only problem is you'd lose high beams. Unless you got a single lens bi-level lens. but $$$$.

Edit* Good to see you back galek, stressed or not :grin:

89bk
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I have been thinking about it too. I'm still not impressed with the overall projector performance.
Mark, your comment about not being impressed about the performance of the projectors surprised me. I thought you were very satisfied with them. Would you elaborate, please? Thanks!

Wiscon_Mark
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I love my high beams, the cutoff on the projectors is great, but the overall performance of the projectors (I'm just talking about the actual projector here, the low beam unit) isn't super duper great, just an improvment.

I am satisfied with these units, well worth the money I paid for, I just need to do something with the low beams.

Maybe aiming them a little higher would help. Output is certainly good. I was just being cautious about not blinding people, and have had no problems with that. No one has flashed me.

89bk
01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Mark! I got it straight now. :smile: