PDA

View Full Version : JDM BD legacy suspension help!!!!!!

adw_terror
01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
hey guys, as a lot of you know im over here in japan and im looking for some suspension to get me by until i purchase a full coilover setup... im just looking to go with a coilover sleeve/adjustable shock setup for right now... my problem is i like a really stiff ride without any body roll and great steering response... just to get a feel for all my options i was wondering what suspension would swap from other subarus like outbacks, wrx's and what years as well... thanks a lot for all the info
-Josh

OutbackGT
01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I imagine your GT-B suspension is the best in the Legacy line. Maybe you could swap from a WRX. I'd just go with some stiffer springs though.

adw_terror
01-06-2007, 05:55 AM
I imagine your GT-B suspension is the best in the Legacy line. Maybe you could swap from a WRX. I'd just go with some stiffer springs though.

thats what im looking at doing but i just wanted to know if anything else could swap over... for instance i can find a ton of springs over here that are cheap for the newer wrx sti's and i was wondering if those would fit my car... i found a great set for only about $110 here and i think im going to try them out
-Josh

Plays_with_Toys
01-06-2007, 12:02 PM
If you want less body roll, what kind of sway bars are you using? Screw shocks and springs. Upgrade to some better swaybars front and rear and then replace your steering rack bushings. That'll get you ton's of response and reduced body roll. Then see if you really want springs and such to tide you over.

Wiscon_Mark
01-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I've seen Bilstein struts with STi pink springs. Supposed to be a great combo.

OutbackGT
01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
He's already got the Bilstein struts, but the STi springs should be good. I agree about upgrading the sway bars first, though.

Wiscon_Mark
01-06-2007, 01:56 PM
He's already got the Bilstein struts, but the STi springs should be good.

Right, I know that. I was saying the STi pinks would be a nice addition.

I think some agressive tires would be the first step, before you go with heavy duty swaybars.

OutbackGT
01-06-2007, 02:27 PM
He's already got the Bilstein struts, but the STi springs should be good.

Right, I know that. I was saying the STi pinks would be a nice addition.

Oh okay. Roger that.

adw_terror
01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
im planning on keeping the bilstein struts, but i wanted to replace the springs with some coilovers that will give the car a stiffer ride and lower it a few inches, but would still allow me to adjust the height for when it snows here... i plan on getting myself a nicely sized rear sway bar and strut tower bar as well, but the coilovers are going to come first... i am also looking into getting some Advan A048 or A032R's as well :wink: ... traction problems should be at a minimum with those lol
-Josh

Wiscon_Mark
01-06-2007, 11:29 PM
If you got coilovers...you wouldn't be able to "keep" the struts...

OutbackGT
01-06-2007, 11:45 PM
He means like coilover sleeves, which in America are mainly for ricers, I don't know about in Japan.

rougeben83
01-07-2007, 12:11 AM
He means like coilover sleeves, which in America are mainly for ricers, I don't know about in Japan.

Like ground control coilover sleeves. To be honest, unless you know what the damper rates are on your struts, I wouldn't pair them up with the coilover sleeves as you won't know what range of spring rates you can work with (remember that damper rates and spring rate must be matched so you don't overwork either one). I would only get the coilover sleeves with some adjustable struts (like KYB AGX's) as you can adjust the damper rate with the spring rate and how much you're dropping the car - still it won't be as good as a complete coilover setup.

I would go with springs that have mild lowering, like sti's or whitelines (I think they do 20-25mm all around) with your bilsteins it should be a good match.

d1giPhux
01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
If you want less body roll, what kind of sway bars are you using? Screw shocks and springs. Upgrade to some better swaybars front and rear and then replace your steering rack bushings. That'll get you ton's of response and reduced body roll. Then see if you really want springs and such to tide you over.

How much of a bitch is it to replace the steering rack bushings? Sounds like a lengthy process? :?:

Reason
01-07-2007, 12:38 AM

How much of a bitch is it to replace the steering rack bushings? Sounds like a lengthy process? :?:

Easy with a lift, I got lucky that day lol

It's not too hard, pretty simple really.

OutbackGT
01-07-2007, 12:46 AM

A lift? So the bushings have to be replaced from underneath the car?

Reason
01-07-2007, 12:49 AM

A lift? So the bushings have to be replaced from underneath the car?

No doubt

Wiscon_Mark
01-07-2007, 12:50 AM
The driver's side bushing can be a bit of a PITA, but it's not a hard install at all.

adw_terror
01-07-2007, 02:05 AM
i was going to go with an adjustable strut and coilover sleeve with custom rates as i did in my last two cars... i had a lot of success with that setup and would like to try it on this car also... my plan is to eventually go with a coilover setup but im trying to keep the cost to a minimum until we get settled in here and we recover somewhat from the intial expenses here... btw are there any suspension parts that will swap over to my BD from a BE? i know of a full set of tein coilovers that are EXTREMELY cheap and if i can use any of them it would be really helpful
-Josh

deadlydave
01-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I think some agressive tires would be the first step, before you go with heavy duty swaybars.

This is going to be my first time disagreeing with mark, I hope I'm not smote, but here goes. Go with the sway bars first, and better bushings would also be a good idea. If the rubber is to sticky, like an R-Compound tire, it can actually damage your suspension. If you're going with a more standard street tire, then mark's definitely right.

Wiscon_Mark
01-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm saying, don't keep touring or some softie tire on with an agressive suspension setup. The stiffer you make your suspension, the more that falls on the tires. That means if you go around a corner, your suspension won't be as forgiving, and you might overstep the bounds of your tires.

That was my point. I wasn't really talking about R-compound tires, just some good summer performance ones.

Huffer
01-07-2007, 03:24 PM
im trying to keep the cost to a minimum until we get settled in here and we recover somewhat from the intial expenses here...

Recover first, then go modding.
No sense spending water before the bucket is even full.

If you do, you're an idiot.
Yeah, I said that. But I can, because I was an idiot once too.

rougeben83
01-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Fiscal sense on my Sl-i? PREPOSTEROUS! :twisted:

I highly doubt you can use R-compounds for everyday use; for one thing you'd need to replace them every month. :wink:

SubiesportEd
01-07-2007, 05:25 PM
PSRS (anti-lift kit) will help alot.
I think anything for an impreza will work on your car. And coilover sleeves are not ricer, they are just budget and they work too. Find the stiffest spring for an impreza and plunk it on.
Also, +1 for steering rack bushings, and Gruppe-N motor and tranny mounts help a ton.

Whiteline sways FTW.