PDA

View Full Version : My door panels look awesome!

Wiscon_Mark
06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
I decided enough was enough and I was sick of my old crappy door panel cloth junk that looked like well distributed puke, and I went to look for some vinyl to replace it. I originally wanted black, but I found some deep blue that matched my car's exterior wonderfully and it was 1/4 the price per yard, so I got it.
Here's the old:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/06/IMG_5552-1.jpg

Here's the new: :twisted:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/06/IMG_5629-1.jpg

I've only done the back doors so far, but the front ones will get done when I get my LEDs and subaru logos (don't ask, just wait and see :twisted: ). And I will do a writeup with some nice pictures for this. Tell me what you think!

Tris_STi
06-24-2005, 06:59 PM
DOOOOOOOD! Please DO! I've been waiting to see who'd writeup something like this. Was it hard?

Wiscon_Mark
06-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Not bad...I think the process may have been simplified by some faster setting glue or maybe some spray on adhesive, but my glue will last forever. The tearing out of the panels and the removal of the door and stuff wasn't bad at all....just waiting is whats hard. :D

Pwise2326
06-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Definately going to be waiting for the writeup on this one, whered you get the vinyl, hows it look up close, any bubbling? Awesome job Mark, looks 100% better! I want to do this to my car, maybe silver to match my exterior, cause the green/gray/blueish pattern I have has got to go. I'm looking to find a black carpet, some new floor mats and ultimately some JDM seats to get rid of that nasty pattern forever!

HFSDevil
06-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Very nice. I am plannig to do the same thing to my car, but with the same fabric as my WRX seats :)

Reason
06-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Looks great Mark, I guess I should tear off the LEATHER from my panels and replace it with vinyl :D

Wiscon_Mark
06-25-2005, 12:55 PM
w00t! did the shift boot this morning....gotta match a few things ya know :D
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/06/IMG_5630-1.jpg

prodrivelegacy
06-25-2005, 02:43 PM
looks great!.....i tried somthing similar on my door panels but i couldnt keep the fabric from coming unglued in the heat

Wiscon_Mark
06-25-2005, 02:49 PM
It's been pretty hot up here too, PD. About 95 degrees outside and 85 inside (at least in my room :shock: ) The Heat and Sun actually helped mine dry quicker, but it depends on what kind of glue you use. I'm in the process of finishing the last door right now.

prodrivelegacy
06-25-2005, 03:09 PM
yea i just gave up and got them painted....what kinda glue did you use?

Wiscon_Mark
06-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I used some stuff called "Weldbond" Got it at an art supply store and it smells and feels like Elmer's all purpose glue, but its a lot stronger, and dries slower. If you get it on your hands, no problem, it comes right off. To pull the vinyl around the edges of the panel and hold it there, I used duct tape :D I just got the final door done and it looks awesome. Job Well Done 8)

Wiscon_Mark
06-25-2005, 08:21 PM
If you wanna make suggestions about what i should do with my extra vinyl, go to this thread....I only made a new one because I thought I was going to poll people on what I should do with it until I realized I didn't have any good ideas.... :wink:
http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=575
It's also where it should be....

Wiscon_Mark
06-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Definately going to be waiting for the writeup on this one, whered you get the vinyl, hows it look up close, any bubbling? Awesome job Mark, looks 100% better! I want to do this to my car, maybe silver to match my exterior, cause the green/gray/blueish pattern I have has got to go. I'm looking to find a black carpet, some new floor mats and ultimately some JDM seats to get rid of that nasty pattern forever!

I must've over looked this one, sorry Ryan...

I got the vinyl at "hancock fabrics", an arts and crafts store....I actually found the stuff in the bargain bin, and it was top notch quality! Lucky Break!
Bubbling isn't there so far... the main trick is to get the corners right and tuck the vinyl around the edges nice and tight so you don't get anything there. I put glue all over the plastic panel and smeared it around so it was nice and even. Then pushed on it from the inside ---> outside so it smoothed out real nice.
It does look so much better....I just sit in my car and listen to music now so I can look at the stuff :D
Perdue is going to try doing the same thing I did, except in flat black color (he's got a silver legacy same as you)
I'm thinking, with my budget, I should just get some nice seat covers that fit my seats nice and tight and do away with the cloth pattern forever. Maybe seats in the future, but not right now.
The shift boot....much tougher than the doors. But great looking! I had to do some sewing, but it came out super nice. I may or may not do a DIY guide on that one, because its quite difficult and I really didn't take pictures during the process.

Plays_with_Toys
06-25-2005, 11:29 PM
The shift boot looks real trick I have to say. And it might be one of the few times you can say, I had to do some sewing, and as a guy, not get looked down upon :lol:

I've heard of spray paint that you can use on cloth that changes the cloth color. Reviews on said product, I have not read though. If you got some good car seat covers, maybe, but what about the back seats?

Wiscon_Mark
06-26-2005, 08:56 AM
They make seat covers for those too, although a lot of them feature ugly cloth like the stuff I already had....Front seats are more important.
As for that spray on stuff....I'd probably never trust it.
And sewing...it'll never happen again. :wink: Unless I have to make another one of these :twisted:

belladonna
06-26-2005, 10:01 PM
awesome work on the shift boot mark 8) you should open up shop for custom interiors with that kind of quality :lol: ever do seat covers? :lol:

pdawg
06-26-2005, 10:11 PM
hey mark those look great good job

Perdue
06-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm planning on trying this with some black vynil (maybe a nice gray/silver if I can find it, but doubtful). I'm also going to do my sun visors too, as the fabric on my passenger side visor has a tear on one of the seams. I just need for find some good vinyl.