PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Remote programming

gwoiler
01-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I read on this site how to program a remote. My car is a 1996. I just got one in the mail from ebay and the directions are a bit different and easier. It says to open the door with the ignition on, press the security button under the dash and hold for 15 seconds and then the door locks should cycle 3 times. then push the lock button on the remote all the while you are still holding the securiity button. Then the locks cycle one more time and then you can let go and turn off the ignition. I have not done it yet because I am out of town and the car was not home when I was home! Does this sound right? I was expecting to have to turn the ignition a bunch of times and then open the door many times from what I read in here.

Huffer
01-16-2007, 09:31 AM
What sounds right is what the factory instructions tell you to do.

If your new remote responds differently, and works, great!

d1giPhux
01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
The way i did it for my 99 LGT Ltd was cycle the key to the on position 10 times, then open the door a few times and close it.. or w/e .. it worked for me, but i had to do it a few times to get the pattern down right and not mess it up.. this website says this for your model:

Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote
Open driver's door.
Turn ignition key to 'On'
Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)
After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button
Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.
Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm

I have used the instructions off this website to do mine before, and they are accurate and work. Sound like the ebay people gave you the directions from this website.. id just roll with those.

gwoiler
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Lot of good info on that page - www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm (http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm)

Thanks

backpack09
01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Did all Legacies come with keyless entry?

Is the program button located above the clutch pedal like cars101 says?

Huffer
01-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Keyless entry is an option. The GTs and some others have it, depending on what options the original purchaser asked for.

d1giPhux
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM

I think only some years may have this.. i dont think my BD (99 GT) has this.. or not that ive noticed. I programmed my key by doing the ignition on/off instructions.

gwoiler
01-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Is the program button located above the clutch pedal like cars101 says?Mine has the "black box" under the dash and the button is hanging very close to it. there are some other boxes under there, but only one black box. And it is right about where the clutch pedal would be.

jjs316
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Do all the remotes just have two buttons from the factory? i bought my car and the person said that the guy he bought it off of lost the remotes, so i was going to buy one. i was just making sure to get the right one.

my car has the factory alarm so i wanted to know if i needed a remote with a panic button or anything else other the the unlock and lock buttons. Thanks

backpack09
04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I am pretty sure that the 98+ cars have a different remote. The 95-97 ones are the ugly 2 button ones. Look exactly like the early GM remotes (may be the same).

Huffer
04-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Do all the remotes just have two buttons from the factory? i bought my car and the person said that the guy he bought it off of lost the remotes, so i was going to buy one. i was just making sure to get the right one.

my car has the factory alarm so i wanted to know if i needed a remote with a panic button or anything else other the the unlock and lock buttons. Thanks

You need to contact Subaru with the model code on the central locking box under the dash.

They'll be able to either give you the part # and/or the FCC transmit code "GOHXXXXXblah" with which you can buy generic remotes from someplace like KeylessRide.com

89bk
05-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Can anyone help me further with programming my keyless entry fob, please?

I won a GOH-M24 fob from ebay and put a new battery in it. I tried looking for that button under my dash (took apart the lower dash and looked everywhere) but my car ('98 "L" wagon) apparently doesn't have that security button.

So I tried the turning the ignition key on and off 10 times procedure and that didn't work. In fact, I tried all different combinations (doors closed and locked, then unlocked, then pressed lock button on fob, then the unlock button, then both buttons, etc. each time I went through the procedure). After 15 or 20 minutes I stopped trying.

Of the three Subaru dealers in my area within an hour's drive that I called on Friday, one never called back, the second said they would gladly do it for me for $35 (which I won't do especially because it will be a two hour round trip drive), and the third said to look it up on the internet because they didn't know how to do it. I found two other Subaru forums after google-searching and followed those instructions but they didn't work either.

Anyone have suggestions for me?

d1giPhux
05-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Can anyone help me further with programming my keyless entry fob, please?

I won a GOH-M24 fob from ebay and put a new battery in it. I tried looking for that button under my dash (took apart the lower dash and looked everywhere) but my car ('98 "L" wagon) apparently doesn't have that security button.

So I tried the turning the ignition key on and off 10 times procedure and that didn't work. In fact, I tried all different combinations (doors closed and locked, then unlocked, then pressed lock button on fob, then the unlock button, then both buttons, etc. each time I went through the procedure). After 15 or 20 minutes I stopped trying.

Of the three Subaru dealers in my area within an hour's drive that I called on Friday, one never called back, the second said they would gladly do it for me for $35 (which I won't do especially because it will be a two hour round trip drive), and the third said to look it up on the internet because they didn't know how to do it. I found two other Subaru forums after google-searching and followed those instructions but they didn't work either.

Anyone have suggestions for me?

Are you sure ur's has the keyless entry? If so.. the ignition key trick should do it.... i did it before on mine.. just took me about 100 times trying it! :lol:

89bk
05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, mine has the keyless entry. I bought the car with one keyless entry remote and it works beautifully. But the fob is all worn out so I bought a spare in almost new condition. So, I'm trying to program the spare.

Any chance you can give me more step-by-step specifics on how to program the fob? I kept trying over and over again so much that I was getting concerned that I'd start wearing out something. :smile:

Huffer
05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd keep looking for the reset button under the dash.

d1giPhux
05-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Check out this page.. lots of info on here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

89bk
06-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Hah! I was able to program my new remote! Following the steps in post #1 worked for me.

For those who are trying to locate the programming button it is located 3" behind the hood release lever. It is mounted to a body-colored bracket and facing downward (toward the floor). The button is black (or dark) in color and has the same dark "sleeve" surrounding it.

I ran across a Suby tech who helped me find it.

It's so easy to do I almost want to buy another remote just to program it!

And to think the stealership wanted to charge me $35 for less than 1/2 minute of "work." Can you imagine, if the dealership had 120 of these cars lined up that needed their remotes programmed, they could program all 120 remotes in one hour and make $4,200!

Huffer
06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Here's a pic of the BLACK BUTTON - 7'oclock below the hood release.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/051011_KeylessEntrySystem2-1.jpg

89bk
06-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Good pic of the button, Huffer! Thanks!

One more tidbit of info: If you have an already-programmed remote with you while you are programming a second remote, be sure to press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons of the first remote that is ALREADY programmed. If you don't, it will be de-programmed.