PDA

View Full Version : Bubbly coolant?

masube81
04-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Is it wrong to get rid of all the old coolant, clean the container, and fill it up with new ones? The reason why I'm asking is because I kept on seeing some bubbles in the container after I did that. Got any advice?

shazapple
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
If you drained all the coolant and then replaced it then thats why your getting bubbles. It takes a while to get the air out of the system.

I changed mine and it took a few warm up/cool downs to get all the air out of the system. Just be sure to watch your temperature gauge! Also, add more coolant as nesseccary (when the engine is warm, so it wont overflow later on)

masube81
04-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the good advice Lee. :D

Reason
04-16-2005, 01:29 AM
You can have some serious issues if there are any air pockets. Make sure ALL the air is out of the system!

masube81
04-16-2005, 01:59 AM
What do I have to do to get all the air out from the system? :help:

galek_98gt
04-16-2005, 09:06 PM
standing in front of your car looking at the engine there should be a bleeder cap on the left side of your radiator. it may be hard to see at first but it should look like a phillips head screw, only plastic. open that up and give the engine a turn. make sure someone is watching it. add coolant as needed.

2deadlegs
04-19-2005, 12:43 AM
I usually take off the rad cap and bleeder cap, start the engine, let it run untill the T-stat opens, fill if so needed, return all caps and I'm done. I heard that some jack up the front of the car or drive it up on ramps to get extreme about it.

I used a vacum pump once and that seemed to do the trick nicely. I wouldn't imagine everyone has one of those.