PDA

View Full Version : Parking lamp problem, CEL question

ryankenn
01-28-2007, 07:44 PM
First off, the other day, I was arriving home and when I got out and went to arm the car, I noticed the parking lamps/taillamps were still on. I went back, made sure it was in park, "jiggled" the stalk and generally re did my exit procedure. Nope. The parking lamps are now stuck on? I had to pull the 20A underhood fuse for the headlamp switch.

The weird this is that the headlamps still work fine using the stalk. The breaklights, fogs and hazards all work. But as soon as I replace that fuse, the parking lamps come on. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a relay specific for the parking lamps that could have failed "on". Could just the parking lamp detent on the light stalk have failed?

Just curious.

Also, I have a custom exhaust, and the cat is further back, but the O2 sensor have been placed on either side of it. The rear O2 had to have the wire extended. I now get intermmitent CEL's that I clear, and take varying amounts of time to crop back up.

1) Could the resistance in my longer rear wire pose a problem?
2) Does the CEL condition effect the cars performance at all?

Thanks,
Ryan

Plays_with_Toys
01-28-2007, 09:14 PM
For parking lamps make sure you didn't bump the switch on top of the steering wheel column. That controls the lamps on and off.

Bdubs
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Check this button for your parking light problem. I'm sure thats your issue.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/01/LED1051-1.jpg

ivwarrior
01-29-2007, 10:16 PM
What they said for the lights.

For the check engine light, what code(s) are you getting? Is it a normal cat, or a high-flow? Any other details you could give to help narrow things down?

AussieDan
01-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Definitely check that switch, it's the most common cause of 'stuck on' parking lights.

That said, I ran into a problem where the light flash relay in the factory alarm would stick on when it flashed the parking lights upon arming the alarm.

As for the CEL, do you have the code?

ryankenn
01-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Even a photo! Thanks, dumbest person ever = me. I've actually had that happen before, but I forgot about the solution. DOH!

The CEL is a more interesting issue. I'd like to be a scanner of my own, but I don't want to pay $200. I've been trying to find a good $100 that will let me read and reset the system. Suggestions welcome. From my searching, the generic Ebay scanners won't work with our systems, as there is a variation in the OBDII plug and what pins are there.

The CEL is definitly related to my O2 sensors, as it only occured after the header and exhaust were added. I also bought brand new sensor for both. If I reset the system and drive like a fool ( 60% of my time driving ) I can go days and days with no CEL. If I take it easy, or idle for a long time, that's when it appears. EDIT - the cat is a single 2.5" ID high flow Magnaflow.

I want to know if the performance is affected, and if the eliminator prevents the ECU from performing the leanring it normally does, becuase the faked signal is not translating actual data. Anyone on this issue? If you a "faking" a good signal with a series of resistors/cap or whatever the small simple circuit it, can you adjust the values to "fake" a rich or lean condition? I now have an extra bung right next to the first ( from the header side ) O2 sensor and I may add an additional sensor for use in tuning. If I can see the car is running rich, I'd hope the fake signal can be altered to let the car know in a manual fashion.

Sorry, I'm sure the CEL issue is beaten to death, but this thread is active know, so hopefully I can get some good stuff in here.

Thanks for the help wiith the switch !

Ryan

d1giPhux
01-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Go to autozone / pepboys / advanced auto.. ask to borrow their OBD 2 scanner.. they will ask you for your license or something.. maybe not though.. and go scan away! Get the code from the scanner..reset it.. and be on your way!

Huffer
01-31-2007, 12:00 AM
The CEL is a more interesting issue. I'd like to be a scanner of my own, but I don't want to pay $200. I've been trying to find a good $100 that will let me read and reset the system. Suggestions welcome.

Look in the Toolbox section for my review on the Scangauge II.

The CEL is definitly related to my O2 sensors, as it only occured after the header and exhaust were added. I also bought brand new sensor for both. If I reset the system and drive like a fool ( 60% of my time driving ) I can go days and days with no CEL. If I take it easy, or idle for a long time, that's when it appears. EDIT - the cat is a single 2.5" ID high flow Magnaflow.

Sounds like a PO420 - catalytic converter inefficiency. Won't do anything to the overall running, but it might make the car run a little rich. Easy fix is the sparkplug anti-fouler method, or the GP Moto spacer sold by Rallitek.
[/quote]

ryankenn
02-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the help.

The spark plug fouler looks like the method I'll be going.

Ryan