PDA

View Full Version : BD Suspension on a BG?

lumpy
02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
What issues (if any) will I face? Springs, struts, tophats usable?

I have a friend who is putting coilovers on his 1998 GT sedan and I would love to swap out the tired, old suspension on my 1995 L wagon. It looks like all of the part numbers are the same, but I want to make sure.

Thanks for any information! :smile:

Paul

sheepdog
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Using sedan stuff will give you the saggy butt effect unfortunately

lumpy
02-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Using sedan stuff will give you the saggy butt effect unfortunately

I was afraid of that. :-? I had a WRX wagon previously and had to work around the same issues.

How *bad* is the sag? I'm not overly concerned about aesthetics on a 240,000 mile wagon. :wink:

Paul

Huffer
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Paul - the sag won't be that bad.

If you're using GT springs you could get away with it, as the GT springs have a higher spring rate than L ones.

If you do this - remember to replace the top hats at the same time. Or at least have a spare set incase the bearings on yours are shot. Mine were.

You might want to look at MXS's post in classifieds - Marnie has a set of H&R springs and top hats for $120.

Combine that with some KYB GR-2s for $250 shipped (ebay = jdmwerks)...nice setup.

lumpy
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Paul - the sag won't be that bad.

If you're using GT springs you could get away with it, as the GT springs have a higher spring rate than L ones.

Hey Rog! What I was actually hoping to do was to pull the entire assemblies off of his car (tops-springs-struts) without breaking them down and put them directly on my car. His GT has less than 100,000 on it, so everything is in very good shape. It's been a garage queen for the last few winters.

BTW, this is my friend here in Toledo who swapped the full STi drivetrain into his 1998 GT. The car is incredible... :shock:

Paul

Huffer
02-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Then I say you'd be fine to do it.

If you want some help, and are going to be in the Cleveland area, I'd be willing to lend my (now) experienced hands... :lol: