PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable endlink help!

OutbackGT
02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Okay, I installed the Whiteline adjustable endlink kit (KLC044) on my 2001 Outback. It's relieved alot of the swaybar tapping problem I've been having, but now there's a new tapping. I took a short video of the problem:

First, I jump up and down on the rear bumper, then I shift weight side to side. See if you can figure out what's making that noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2OQ7HJQEU

Reason
02-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Your best bet is to do that with you or one of your buddies under there. Even just stick your head right by the bumper and look around.

OutbackGT
02-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Your best bet is to do that with you or one of your buddies under there. Even just stick your head right by the bumper and look around.

Actually did that too. Had my mom (lol) jump on the bumper while I took a peek. I didn't see anything that looked weird. I'm gonna go get the car on jack stands again and poke around.

Reason
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
See if the endlinks are tapping the lateral links or sway bar hitting the spare tire well.

OutbackGT
02-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Well, it seems that the cause of the clanking was loose locking nuts. My ghetto solution (for now):

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3056/1000620nz8.jpg

rougeben83
02-03-2007, 02:05 AM
grab the endlinks and try to wiggle them. The locknuts shouldn't have any free play in them. Did you tighten enough? You can try to put some locktite in there too to prevent it from coming loose.

OutbackGT
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
grab the endlinks and try to wiggle them. The locknuts shouldn't have any free play in them. Did you tighten enough? You can try to put some locktite in there too to prevent it from coming loose.

Yeah, next time I'm under there, I'm gonna add loctite really crank 'em down.

Flanders
02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Did you use the grease on the mount bushings? I have heard that can cause some noise.

You should wrench those bolts down on the endlinks.

I thought that the KLC26 end links for WRX would work but my mechanic said no. looks like I need to order the KLC044 as well. So annoying.

sansMYSTi
02-06-2007, 07:56 AM
I have the same bar and endlinks that you have mentioned, but have not installed yet. When installing these links you should pre-lube them with the grease supplied and make sure you rotate the bearing well inside the carrier to make sure the grease is well distributed around the bearing.

OutbackGT
02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I have the same bar and endlinks that you have mentioned, but have not installed yet. When installing these links you should pre-lube them with the grease supplied and make sure you rotate the bearing well inside the carrier to make sure the grease is well distributed around the bearing.

Hmm, I didn't get any grease with the links. Was I supposed to?

rougeben83
02-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Hmm, I didn't get any grease with the links. Was I supposed to?

The grease he's talking about is probably the thick white stuff for the swaybar bushings.

You can try to lube the heim joints with those, but I doubt that's the cause of your noise (until a couple of years at least...at the beauty of heim joints :roll: ).

ten80
02-07-2007, 07:23 AM
noooooooo! Don't lube the heim joints!!!! :shock:

Most endlinks have heim joints designed to be run dry because they have a teflon or similar lining on the inside. This is what wears out and leads to clunking. If you run grease, you will attract dirt, sand, and salt, increasing your odds of premature wear on the lining and heim joint components. Only run grease if the manufacturer says so. Endlinks with poly urethane bushings, on the other hand, need grease where ever urethane touches metal or else the urethane will bind and chafe, causing wear.

Unless sealed like these whitelines, the joints should also be cleaned periodically (a light solvent works great) I just wore out a front and rear set of helix aluminum end links with heim joints in about two years because I neglected to clean them. $230 mistake. whoops.

If whiteline wants you to run grease, it will be included with the endlinks. They include grease with all of their parts that need it (mainly their yellow bushings).