PDA

View Full Version : Shock and Spring Combos

pdawg
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
I'll Start this section off with a question.

What spring and shock combo should I go with on my 2000 LGT?

I know the usual suspect such as white line and eibach. Anybody have the Ion setup? Ryan suggested prodrive spring and Bilstein shocks? Any others?

bln scub
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
i went with the kyb gr1's nand i now have eibach springs, had syms but they bottomed out to easy so i changed to eibach. after i lowered my subie i went through 3 sets of stock struts because no one made any aftermarket 1's. for my '01. it doesnt look like kyb will be making agx for this car. its now 4 1/2 yrs old.

my 2 cents
bln scub

galek_98gt
04-14-2005, 12:03 PM
i too would like to know what kind of other options i have to springs and struts than the obvious ones. anything universal between the legacy and impreza/sti would be good to know about.

slip
04-14-2005, 12:08 PM
I use KYB's with B+G springs and they've turned out to be a good set up. And don't WRX rear suspension set ups bolt up with our cars? I know they are compatable witht the forester.

Reason
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
On the BD the 02-03 WRX suspension will fit. I'm not sure about the BE though. Most people have KYB GR2 struts and H&R springs in the Legacy community, not sure if you want what others have.

sheepdog
04-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Tein has some crazy stuff, but $$$

2deadlegs
04-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I am thinking about lowering my 90 legacy a few inches via adjustable coilovers. Which ones would be reccomended? What fits?

I am eyeing some 17 inch Rotas that I think would look really sweet on it too. I'd like to convert the front end to a turbo front end (just the bumper) and possibly a turbo hood.

belladonna
04-25-2005, 09:41 PM
are you talking about coilovers as just the sleeves with spring or damper kit which would be the adjustable strut with coilover setup...
i'm sure tein and d2racing make something for our application...just make sure that they're made for your drivetrain (fwd or awd)

Pwise2326
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Alright, I figure I should speak up here. I have a 98 BD, so I know it works, but I'm pretty sure as long as you get the complete set of parts (strut top mounts, upper spring seats (both metal and rubber), springs, shocks, lower spring seats (rubber for the rear)) any GC8 or WRX suspension will fit on the Legacy. Only thing I'm not sure of is the BE's or new BL's if they have a shock over a strut in the rear. I'd have to see a picture of the stock setup to give you the rundown on those options. Right now I have all 02 WRX spec stuff on my car, but it only works as a complete unit like I listed above. The springs from the WRX and the GC8 are not compatable or swapable within the legacy setup, as well as struts, you need all WRX spec parts, but as a whole it bolts up perfect. For you BC guys I've heard that WRX springs match up because it has the same tapered design, don't quote me on that though. As far as the BE guys, try to find some Bilstien shocks/struts if you can, you should be able to get them from any Bilstein dealer. As far as springs go, the best compliment would be the Prodrives, they make a set specifically for the BE, and they would match up with the bilsteins or any upgraded strut and give you car an excellent appearence. Price for the Prodrives are between $250-299USD. I went for something a little stiffer, and got a set of JDM STI Version 7 Pink springs, got these for $400 shipped from www.racecompengineering.com (http://www.racecompengineering.com) . I love them...even with the stock sways I noticed a huge reduction in body roll in the corners. The prodrives are a little softer, and even out the wheel well gaps, the Pinks give you that "saggy butt" look but makes up for it with handling performance. Both sets drop the car just under an inch, coupled with a WRX setup you'll notice about a 2" drop overall between the springs and the shorter strut pistons.

Alright, long story short, figure out what kind of performance/comfort level you want, and that will at least start you off in the right direction. Any other questions PM me, I'll try to figure out how things go on the BE's and get you some better answers.

Dark Anghell
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
the BE/Bh chassis has been redisigned, at least the rears. The front strut bar from previous body fits BE/BH, so theupper mounts are the same, I'm not sure about the lower mount or the lenght.