PDA

View Full Version : I-Speed Flash SRS-19 Results and problems ( New bad news )

ryankenn
02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
During my trials and tribulations of CEL's and terrible mileage, I've started to look at a reasonabley priced solution to fix my AFR and improve the driveability.

I've found alot of threads on the two above options, but all seem bogged down with the major problems they have, instead of anyone who acutally has had no issues.

Right now I'm leaning towards the re flash from I-Speed as I've seen alot of good reviews, and with the core deposit they offer, I could potentially have no down time. What I'm curious is that the have a second flash ( SRS-20 ) for a setup that's alot like mine ( intake, header, exhaust ) but I can't find any info or reviews on it. I see a ton of info on the base SRS-10 flash.

Same with the PP6. I see a ton of reviews of the 1st stage system that had problems cooking the coil pack, but since the PP6 was changed to use the crank signal, I don't see a ton of info saying that the install was easier/it worked right out of the box.

I wouldn't mind a little tunability, but the PP6 software from what I've seen almost offers too much tunability for the average joe user. The falsh looks like it does a good job, and since they are doing a swap with your ECU, you're pretty much guaranteed they are sending you a good unit, as if it doesn't work you can send it back. The only downside I see is that they do offer dyno tuning for a custom flash, but being in Canada, I'd never get to do this option, so when I get cams or other add ons in the future, I'm kind of stuck with a flash intended for one setup only.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan

Huffer
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
You could just get the I-speed flash, and when you get cams etc, then use the PP6 to tune it.

ryankenn
02-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I've been in contact over the last few days with I-Speed/Crawford and they are very interested in my ECU. I'm pretty sure they not 100% convinced it will work on a Legacy 2.5L auto the same as it would on a RS 2.5L auto.

I've had to send in multiple photos of the ECU and connectors for them to review. From my understanding the ECU would be the same for both cars, but perhaps I was mistaken? Unless it controls dash functions or other interior lighting or sensory inputs, I can't see the control of the engine being any different.

Has anyone any knowledge of whether the ECU's are interchangable on same model year of car ( Impreza RS to Legacy )

Ryan

ten80
02-07-2007, 01:57 PM
The ECU out of my auto 2000 legacy was a JECS, american-made unit whereas an 00 RS should have a japanese Denso ECU. I'm pretty certain that i-speed cannot work with JECS ECU's. Anyways, you'd think that subaru would use the same ECU for all N/A dohc motors and also for SOHC motors, however, there is a lot of variation, even if the ECU's have nearly identical functions.

ryankenn
02-08-2007, 01:08 PM
We will find out. I ordered mine today after a few days of Q&A with Bill from I-Speed. He was very helpful, and answered all the questions I had. As for the JECS vs Denso, its actually the other way around.

The Denso unit doesn't seem to work with their reflash, only the NA JECS. Here's the post he pointed me too.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.p ... ght=srs-20 (http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53724&highlight=srs-20)

ten80
02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
oh, sorry, you are correct. I was thinking of the OpenECU software which only works with densos. That said, I think that JECS ecus are also made in japan and suspect that my 00 legacy had something else, since it said it was American made on the ECU. Bill at i-speed is a great guy and does his best to get things right!

ryankenn
02-09-2007, 04:13 AM
For those pondering this, I will post a seperate and complete with pics follow up when the ECU arrives. From what Bill had told me, the key is that your ECU says nothing. It only has the sticker stating the P/N in the dead center of the top.

No other indents or markings, top or bottom. He also had me take a picture of the three connectors to ensure that the wiring was correct, so feel safe that you would be getting something that will work.

For me I paid the deposit and I'm having the ECU shipped to me first ( in Canada ) to make sure it works before I send mine back. If it doesn't, I'm only out the shipping to have found out, which is fine for me. If it performs half as well as I've read its easily worth $350. Better mileage, smoother power, more power, at a fraction of what I paid for my catback setup.

Ryan

badbasser98
02-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Interested in how this turns out :grin:

ryankenn
03-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Not good so far.

The car runs, and under WOT and anything above 2000rpm is a dream. Idle and low RPM cruising just don't work. Lumpy and surging idle to the point after about 10 min the car dies. If your cruising and the 4EAT shift to below 2000 RPM, it bogs right out. You have to get into it to keep it from dying.

I'm in contact via email and RS25 forums to see what I can do. I don't have my intake ( aftermarket ) on yet, and maybe that's part of it, but I don't know.

I'm going to finish the MSD coil mod with new plugs and wires, as well as the intake and give it another shot. Otherwise, Im sending it back and trying the SRS-10 flash.

ryankenn
03-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, after 4 days of tinkering, I've:

a) changed all the plugs to Iridium
b) plug wires to Bosch
c) new front O2 Sensor
d) fixed a vacuum leak
e) installed a custom "ganzflow" style intake with genuine K&N
f) bought an OBD-II scanner.

I have to say out front, I-Speed has been working with me through this whole process, and to date, hasn't charged me for the ECU, as its not working. We've setlled on my getting a true Legacy ECU and I'm sending that to them back with theirs. They also waived the deposit.

It turns out, the RS ECU just won't work quite right with the Legacy. It throws a CEL immediatly, and the OBD scanner can't read it, so something is different internally.

My car is now running better with all the tuning I've done, and I'm already happy that this process has forced me to fix all the little things. I'll update this thread in hopefully 2 weeks time when my true Legacy ECU has been returned with the SRS-19 flash. I've found a 2002 2.5L automatic ECU back east and I'm ordering it tomorrow to send as I can't be without my car for any extended periods. At the end of all this I will have a spare ECU for sale as well, if anyone wants to do the same thing.

Ryan

ryankenn
03-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Having finally tracked down a compatible Legacy ECU, I've now shipped it out to I-Speed with their RS ECU for another attempt at the flash.

I'm also setup to dyno the car with the stock and I-Speed ECU, as I'm lucky enough to have an AWD dyno within an hour of my here. For $200CAD I get 6 pulls, 3 stock ECU, 3 I-Speed. Should be a great way to see where I stand with all my mods to date, as they are fairly common for all of us.

I-Speed has been absolutley great throughout this and I havn't acutally paid for anything yet, not even a deposit on their ECU. Great service, fast responses. Just what I wanted.

LegacyRob
03-16-2007, 08:35 AM
It's nice to see a company work with you like they have, alot of companies would just throw their hands up and not bother with you at all. You now have broken into the market for so many other Legacy owners out there. What it like to be a Guinea Pig. :lol: Keep us posted.

auspex
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
great thread!!! glad i found this.

definitely keep us posted!

mike

Huffer
03-16-2007, 01:36 PM
BIG WOOOOOOOTTTT!!! for you! :D

does the I-speed reflash raise the redline by any chance?

ryankenn
03-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I can request it, but as it stands it 6500rpm. You're not going to get anything useful out of it above that anyways. From most charts I've seen the power is on the downward curve after 6K so you're better off to downshift and get back in the power band.

The best part is I'll be able to tell you definitly after the dyno day, which is cool. I won't have to speculate where or when my power comes, I'll know and be able to adjust my driving accordingly to get the most out of my car.

ryankenn
04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Although initially successful at removing the ECU data from it, the reflash back on has failed. They are going to try a few things to get it to work, but basically, if they can't get it to flash correctly everytime ( they attempt it more than once to make sure its stable ) they will be flashing it back to stock and returning it to me.

Heres' hoping. :cry:

auspex
04-05-2007, 09:41 PM
crossin' my fingers for ya, bruddah

mike

ryankenn
06-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Well I-Speed won't respond to me anymore, so avoid them if you can. They have my ECU, and have not responded for 3 months on its status. Oh well, thanks for stealing my money!

badbasser98
06-13-2007, 10:03 PM
damn, sorry to hear that :-(

Huffer
06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
That sucks - post their email addresses and maybe we can community spam them for you!

Reason
06-14-2007, 07:06 AM
WTF is up with that?? Have you tried calling them?

Svenerachi
06-14-2007, 09:04 AM
seriously, i was looking to go through them bfore i went the safc route. glad i did what i did!