PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal problems..

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
So this morning, or actually last night, i noticed that when i push my clutch pedal in, its not pushing itself back out towards me correctly. What should i check? Fluid? Is there like something behind the pedal i could check as well? I've been looking in my manual.. and it looks a bit confusing.. so if someone wants to lead me in the right direction.. that would be cool.

I'd rather fix this myself.. but if its too time consuming, i might just need to pay subaru (rip off) to do it.. only because its like -10 degrees outside everyday, and thats just too damn cold.

Any info would help! Thanks! :cool:

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Oh also.. if it is indeed the clutch fluid (which i have not had time to check yet).. can someone recommend a correct brand / fluid i should buy? Thanks!

gil_ong81
02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
look on the cap. i think it says to use DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

while you're at it, you might wanna flush the system as well.

Wiscon_Mark
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Could just be the spring on the clutch pedal.

backpack09
02-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Is there a recall on this problem with the 99's like there is on the 97's?

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
How hard is the spring on the clutch pedal to replace? About how long would it take me? Seemed like it was working fine just a day ago, and now its just sitting low to the floor.. anyways i could diagnose these problems a little more? So brake fluid is the same as tranny fluid? Hmm.. interesting.

gil_ong81
02-08-2007, 11:47 AM
So brake fluid is the same as tranny fluid? Hmm.. interesting.
hellz noes!

Wiscon_Mark
02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
So brake fluid is the same as tranny fluid? Hmm.. interesting.
hellz noes!

NO! It's not.

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Yea.. i know its not. I was confused by what u were saying.. i know its definitely not the same.. maybe i forgot the :lol:

sorry.. typing mad fast here at work.

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 11:59 AM
look on the cap. i think it says to use DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid..

This is what i was referring to. :lol:

I saw it and was like.. what.. brake fluid? I think u meant clutch fluid? hahah, dont worry, im not THAT dumb. What a good brand to get tho? Also.. how would i be able to tell if its the spring or fluid.. im gonna check the fluid after work.. and then maybe the spring if i have time.. or if theres still sunlight out.

Wiscon_Mark
02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
What does trans fluid have to do with anything?

Brake fluid would make sense, as it's an incompressible liquid that performs the same function in both systems.

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
What does trans fluid have to do with anything?

Brake fluid would make sense, as it's an incompressible liquid that performs the same function in both systems.

ARGH! Fuck off.. u know what i mean! :lol:

Im sorry.. im here at work doign a bunch of dumb shit, and my mind is scattered. hahaha. :lol:

Plays_with_Toys
02-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow... back on topic.

When my toyota did this it was because the master cylinder let loose and I lost a bunch of fluid (which is brake fluid). Because I had to get to work, I just shifted as best I could, but using the clutch introduced air into the system. So, at best, your spring is messed up (replace spring), more likely you have air in your system and are low on fluid (so bleed it, at the master and at the slave cylinder), or your master/slave cylinder is shot and you'll need to replace that and bleed the system.

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I looked at the pedal itself.. and it seems to be functioning right.. maybe this problem is just in my head.. i cant really tell. wtf. I checked the fluids and everything seems to be alright.. i dunno, this morning it just felt like it wasnt pushing back as far.. but maybe it was and i was just imagining a problem.. i dunno, im gonna need to drive around with it more to find out. It seems like its working now though.. so im not sure. Tommorow when its freezing cold out i will probably be able to find out more. Hmmm. :-?

gil_ong81
02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
maybe the cold was playing tricks on your muscle memory. :)

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
maybe the cold was playing tricks on your muscle memory. :)

I swear it felt lower.. like.. i didnt need to push on it as much.. not i cant decide if its all in my head or not.. but i hope it is. I looked at the pedal, and it looks like it presses down fine, and then comes up fione to the level of the other pedals.. but i SWEAR it wasnt coming up as far this morning.. but now im really starting to think im imagining things! :lol:

Is it possible that with the cold the return spring could have become weak.. or anything like that? Cause its been pretty damn cold here lately.

backpack09
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM
WHERE IS HERE?

Can everyone please put their location in their Profile or sig?

d1giPhux
02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
WHERE IS HERE?

Can everyone please put their location in their Profile or sig?

Cool.. i'll make sure to do that sometime. :lol: :wink:

backpack09
02-08-2007, 10:17 PM
What is so difficult about posting what state you live in? or what part of the country? Really, if someone wanted to find out where you are, that bit of info wouldn't give them much of a leed.

Your State being posted here is not going to hurt you any.

d1giPhux
02-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Anyways.. checked the spring earlier, and it seems like it wants to come up sometimes, and othertimes it does not want to come up. Could getting dirt / snow / slush in it possibly cause it to return slower? It seems like when i push it in with my foot, sometimes it returns pretty slow, or doesnt return at all. Any other tips people got?

Also.. would it help to lube the spring maybe.. or use an air compressor can to blow any debree out of it? Just seems like sort of a weird problem. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the spring if indeed that is the problem.

Wiscon_Mark
02-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Metal does get weak in the extreme cold - it is definitely possible for a spring to get weak - but I doubt it would be that noticable at these temps - maybe a lot colder.

d1giPhux
02-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Metal does get weak in the extreme cold - it is definitely possible for a spring to get weak - but I doubt it would be that noticable at these temps - maybe a lot colder.

Its about -15 or so everynight / morning.. lately it seems. Im going to try cleaning off the spring today and spraying it with some wd40 to see if that helps at all. Seems like when i press on it by hand its okay, but when i use my foot sometimes it gets stuck... i'll keep you updated. :lol: