PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems...

Legacy4Life
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
There's been a "wine/growl" coming from the drivetrain recently and I finally took it in this week to see what it is. Once it gets warm (ie: driving for a while) the noise almost disappears, but when it's cold (-20oC) and you first start driving it is quite noticeable.

Apparently the noise is coming from the center of the transmission.

The transmission has 340,000 kms on it and this is the first time I've had anything with it.

So my question is two fold,

1. Is this something others have experienced?

2. What year of Outback/Legacy's (Impreza's?) will have the same transmission? Mine is a 5 speed. I'm wondering if I should be looking for a car for parts!

gil_ong81
02-09-2007, 04:26 PM
my first thought would be lubrication.

when was the last time you changed the fluid? and when was the last time it was this cold, and the tranny didn't make the noise?

Legacy4Life
02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
The fluid was changed about 10,000kms ago, it wasn't making any noise then. The mechanic checked the level today and it's still full.

I noticed it first when I was up in Labrador City in mid December, it was near -35 to -40oC each morning. The car made a lot of "funny" noises those mornings! But this one didn't go away.

Which reminds me, I don't think I ever shared the pictures from that trip!

Here's one, but I'll post the rest in another category later. This one was taken after I finally arrived in Labrador City! Over 500km of icy and snow covered back roads! The front of the car looked like it had a "Le Bra" on it from all the frozen mud and slush to it.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/michael_thomson/TraveltoLabradorCity007_02.jpg

gil_ong81
02-09-2007, 08:12 PM
maybe it's SUPPOSED to make noises like that in protest when it's that cold. :)

but i wouldn't know, just the thought of it gives me shrinkage.

Huffer
02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Was the fluid replaced with the right grade?

Legacy4Life
02-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Was the fluid replaced with the right grade?
I'm going to guess and say yes, but is there a way to check that after?