PDA

View Full Version : Good All season/Auto-X tires??

livestrong14
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
What would you guys and gals recommend? I have heard good things about the Pirelli Pzero Nero. Tey need to do well in daily driving (rain, highway etc.) and also in Auto-X.

Thanks

-Devan

StatGSR
02-18-2007, 06:39 PM
so are these tires going to ever see snow or below freezing temps? cause there really isnt tires that cover that kinda range and do well at both. you have to be atleast kinda be into the summer performance tires area to even have an ok tire for auto x.

Reason
02-18-2007, 06:41 PM
The toyo proxe 4 I have are all season. The grip seemed to be better. I could brake traction with my cooper all season around corners if I pushed it hard enough. The proxe 4 just help the road very well.

d1giPhux
02-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I have some Sumitomo HTR+ tires, and they are great! Not only are they good in heavy rainfall, but last week we got 2.5 feet of snow, and i drove about 60 miles through at least 10" plus at times.. they did AWESOME. They dont slip around much in the snow, on some ice they will slip a bit if you are heavy on the gas (i do this a lot for fun), but its very predictable. I have got to say, there are some of the best all season tires i have EVER used.. and they are cheap too! I think i bought mine for around $60-65 from tirerack or something like that. I HIGHLY recommend them. Here in new england.. the weather does not mess around, and these tires have been great! In the summer they are very good tires too. While some people may complain they are a little loud.. it does not bother me at all! I highly recommend looking into them. Good luck on your search! :cool:

livestrong14
02-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't have to worry about using them in snow. I have a set of snow tires already mounted on winter wheels.

d1giPhux
02-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't have to worry about using them in snow. I have a set of snow tires already mounted on winter wheels.

Id still recommend them, mostly for price / performance mix. They are pretty sweet. :cool:

StatGSR
02-18-2007, 07:51 PM
ok if u got winters, then u should definatly step into the summer performance catagory and out of the all seasons.

d1giPhux
02-18-2007, 07:55 PM
ok if u got winters, then u should definatly step into the summer performance catagory and out of the all seasons.

huh? :-?

StatGSR
02-18-2007, 08:26 PM
^ if you have winter tires, u dont need all seasons for the rest of the year... and if u wana auto x, your guna be better off with "performance summer" tires than u will with all seasons.

Huffer
02-18-2007, 11:06 PM
What would you guys and gals recommend? I have heard good things about the Pirelli Pzero Nero. Tey need to do well in daily driving (rain, highway etc.) and also in Auto-X.

Thanks

-Devan

No such thing as a good auto-x tire/all-season.

If you want a good auto-x tire you need to have a dedicated set of (at least) high-performance summer tires.

Kumho Ecsta's are good bang for buck summer tires - predictable and cheap.

Brockley
02-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Falken Azenis...

no question...

I they will only last you one year, but are worth every bit of it. crazy stiff sidewalls and insane traction.

Plus, cheaper than anything close to as good as they are, so you can afford a new set when needed...

they are good in the rain also (people tha havent driven on tehm say otherwize, but I can assure you mine were great (on a 99 Miata)

d1giPhux
02-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanks

-Devan

No such thing as a good auto-x tire/all-season.

If you want a good auto-x tire you need to have a dedicated set of (at least) high-performance summer tires.

Kumho Ecsta's are good bang for buck summer tires - predictable and cheap.

Yea, kuhmo makes good tires, i would go with them for a dedicated summer tire! They are pretty well priced too!

jey
02-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I have the Kumho MXs, they'll handle an AutoX without getting beat up too badly and do well in the rain. That would be my experience/recommendation.

sansMYSTi
02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I used to autocross with Falken Ziex 512's and I found that they did quite well on track and street. The stock Potenza 070's that I had on the STi would be the ultimate for autocross, but the high cost per tire and the somewhat scary handling in cold/wet weather made for a not-so-great street tire.

studum
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
RE92s!!! Lol.

Seriously though I've got Goodyear TripleTreds on my car. Great for an all season, awesome wet traction, great dry traction, and half descent traction in the snow.

They'd get chewed up on the track though I'm sure.

GT Wagon
02-24-2007, 05:58 PM
There is no such thing as a tire that's good at both all-seaon weather & auto-x. They're two completely different needs.

MCarp22
02-25-2007, 12:22 AM
There is no such thing as a tire that's good at both all-seaon weather & auto-x. They're two completely different needs.

Quoted for truth.

If you're going to autocross, get autocross tires. Falken 615s, Kumho MX, or Hankook RS2s.

GT Wagon
02-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Quoted for truth.

If you're going to autocross, get autocross tires. Falken 615s, Kumho MX, or Hankook RS2s.

That said, I ran RS2's last year and I have been amazed with them. I've run a lot of tires, a lot of expensive high performance tires. The RS2's are:
- a top rate performer
- they are cheap to the point of being almost 1/2 the price of more popular hi-po tires like the S0-3 while still matching performance
- they are excellent in the rain which is typically the trade-off for sticky tires
- they work very well in cold condtions ( I ran mine until mid November last year)

AussieDan
02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
+1 for RS2s, I love mine!