PDA

View Full Version : 00-04 Legacy L and GT Daytime Running Lights Delete

subyguy522
02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I got this DIY off off Scoobymods.com and thought I'd share it. This mod will only shut off your daytime running lights. Both of these have been proven to work and take maybe 10 minutes to do if you take your time. The reason there is two different sets of directions (one for GT models and one for L and SE models) is because:

Legacy GT headlamps are dual element (have two seperate bulbs)
Legacy L & SE's have a single element headlamp (one bulb)

Credit to: b4wantab (I-Club) and Peaty (Scoobymods).

For the 00-04 Legacy GT and Outback:

There is a module attached to the left side of the steering column under the dash. It has a sticker on it with numbers and letters and also says "UNT DRL ASSY AISIN". Mine also says "Made in USA". The module has two aluminum plates attached to it's sides and there are also two connectors attached to it, one black and one white. Disconnect the white connector. The white is your DRL. Do not disconnect the black one, the black is your normal lights. For the GT you can just leave the black wiring harness out, but read on for Legacy L models.

For the 00-04 Legacy L and SE:

Un-plug the same white wire harness as the instruction for the GT model. Now, it says on the GT you can leave it un-plugged, sadly this doesn't work on the single element headlamps. What you need to do is with the white harness unhooked, clip the blue/black wire & tape off the cut ends. Then plug the white wire harness back in. Doing this retains all current light functions, but does disable the DRL.

pdawg
02-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Is that it. It's so easy. :grin:

LegacyRob
02-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Why would you want to turn your DRL's off? Here in Canada you must have DRLs on, it's law. Lights on for Life :lol:

Wiscon_Mark
02-24-2007, 12:38 PM
If people are doing an HID conversion, you can't have DRLs, but other than that, there really isn't a point.

subyguy522
02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Why would you want to turn your DRL's off? Here in Canada you must have DRLs on, it's law. Lights on for Life :lol:

On my legacy I think they just look ugly. I believe DRL are run at a lower wattage and because of that my zenons, which normally look white, are an ugly stock yellow color. It also probably shortens the life of the bulbs (not by much, but still). In the US we don't have to have them...

Wiscon_Mark
02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Nevertheless, they're a good safety feature, and you should keep them.

BTW- those really aren't Xenon bulbs.

voorhees
02-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Mark, we must have a lighting conversation again...Xenon is a 12v lamp. Halogen is most often a 12v lamp. they run at different color(kelvin) temperatures. giving off distinct color differences(bluer vs. orange). this is mostly because of the gases in the tube. Xenon runs on a transformer just like halogen, just at a lower temp(less heat). HID's are are totally different story. they run on a coil and igniter in most cases. High pressure sodium/ mercury vapor/ metal halide. In area lighting(parking lots, buildings,etc..)these are run on line voltage. the most expensive are the lower wattage MH ballast kits. $100 or so, add a transformer to that to go from 12v to 120v. Now HID conversion is understandably over priced.

SilentRacer
02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Now HID conversion is understandably over priced.

But once you go HID you never go back :cool:

Wiscon_Mark
02-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I was under the impression that real xenon bulbs were in the HID price range...most of those ones claiming to be Xenon really aren't.

studum
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't know if this is a little off topic, but anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to convert the daytime running lights from using the headlamps to using the front parking lights?

I like the safety of DRLs but hate how they use my headlights.

sansMYSTi
02-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Don't know if this is a little off topic, but anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to convert the daytime running lights from using the headlamps to using the front parking lights?

I like the safety of DRLs but hate how they use my headlights.

I was thinking that myself. I hate the fact that most auto manufacturers use the headlights insted of the running lights - mostly because people with DRL headlights often are too stupid to turn on their regular lighting at night 'cause they can see fine with the DRL's alone. They ignore the fact that they are invisible from behind as their tailights are not on. If all cars had the DRL on the running lights, then when night or bad weather hits and these stupid drivers can't see, they turn on their headlights so everyone else can see them too.

badbasser98
02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I was thinking that myself. I hate the fact that most auto manufacturers use the headlights instead of the running lights - mostly because people with DRL headlights often are too stupid to turn on their regular lighting at night 'cause they can see fine with the DRL's alone. They ignore the fact that they are invisible from behind as their taillights are not on. If all cars had the DRL on the running lights, then when night or bad weather hits and these stupid drivers can't see, they turn on their headlights so everyone else can see them too.
I've often thought this. I noticed now that a lot of US manufacturers are using the running lights for DRL's.

IF I go HID, I would be using the corner lights for DRL's, or if I stay with standard halogens, I will switch them over to the fogs.

Wiscon_Mark
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I think Subaru should've just kept the system they had - auto shutoff headlights. I always leave mine on for safety, it's entirely optional for the user who has some weird prejudice against running the lights in the 'daytime' and it won't drain the battery.

studum
02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
I would just like them to be on the corner lamps because they are at the actual corners of the car and they are just as visible as the headlights.

I also think it just looks better, but that's just me.

subaru_terrence
02-28-2007, 11:47 AM
I deleted my DRL just becauase I have HID on my car. Normally I will turn on the corner lights during the daytime or whenever I see cops :P

studum
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Hmm I guess I could just do that... Disable DRL and wire the parking lights to be on with ignition.

OT: Are you the same Subaru Terrence as on TSC?

subaru_terrence
02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes I am ;)

Wiscon_Mark
02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Hmm I guess I could just do that... Disable DRL and wire the parking lights to be on with ignition.

Don't you have auto shutoff headlights? Why don't you just keep the stalk in the parking lights position?

subaru_terrence
02-28-2007, 02:29 PM
that works too...it will save a lot of works

studum
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't you have auto shutoff headlights? Why don't you just keep the stalk in the parking lights position?

Only because someone other than myself may be driving the car and turn the switch to off and I don't want their safety to be comprimised in that situation. Also for the required safety test in Ontario the DRLs must be functional with the headlight switch in the off position and the parking brake down. They won't know or care about the difference if the parking lights or the headlamps are lite up.

It should be as simple as bypassing the parking light switch because the power is only there when the key is turned to ignition anyways. It seems pretty simple, and I'm pretty comfortable with auto electronics (other than EM). I'll have to take a look at it when I get some time on my hands.

ryankenn
02-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I made this up a while back.

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php ... hlight=drl (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=3188&highlight=drl)

studum
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/
That's what I want my DRLs to look like. I still want to have DRL function just have them look like that.

On a side note awesome write up. I believe I'm going to tackle this on a weekend when school's out. Mods that cost next to nothing are the best mods to perform.

studum
02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Stupid cable interweb. Choppy connection = double post :evil:

subaru_terrence
02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
didnt TSC make a thread couple months ago saying that it is not illegal to drive a car without DRL. It is illegal or does not pass the safety when you sell the car without DRL.

In another word, as long as we have some lights on during daytime, then we should be fine. I dont know if this is right or not, prove me if I am wrong

studum
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
No you're correct as far as I know. I just want it to be there all the time anyways.

Whether or not it would affect you (or your insurance) if there were an accident and the other driver claims that they couldn't see you because your lights weren't on I don't know. :dontknow: I know that it shouldn't, but you know insurance companies...

Wiscon_Mark
03-01-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't think that "I didn't see his DRLs on" thing would fly. Especially since older cars don't have them.

subaru_terrence
03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Agree with this and what if people got their cars from the states? Some of them dont come with DRL

studum
03-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't think that "I didn't see his DRLs on" thing would fly. Especially since older cars don't have them.

It shouldn't fly at all, but you know how some insurance companies are. They'll look for any excuse not to pay. I was merely stating an example...

If you buy a car from the states and bring it up here you must get DRLs installed if it is any model year after which DRLs were determined to be mandatory on all new vehicles in Canada/Ontario. I think that was in the early '90s but not entirely sure.

I know my uncle had to do this to a truck he brought up during the Ontario safety inspection which was required before he could register it in Ontario.

RomanTaylor
08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I almost broke my back doing this.. And skin on finger is hurting still. Easy but hurts :grin:

tfro33
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
could someone take pics of this. cuz i cannot for the life of me find the right harness :?: