PDA

View Full Version : hmm...fuel gauge help

Perdue
07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, I'm havin problems with my fuel gauge now. it'll fluctuate around 1/4 of a tank for no reason. I had a quarter tank yesterday, and it would keep going down to empty, then come back up to a quarter a few miles later. I filled my tank all the way up until the first "click off" around 5 yesterday. That usually gets me to JUST under the Full mark, but the gauge read 3/4 of a tank until 1am when if finally decided to go back to full. Anyone have any idea what's goin on?

Wiscon_Mark
07-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm having the same problem. Someone on the other forum suggested that the floater thing that triggers the guage is filling up with gas (its cracked or something like that) and it'll just get worse...so it may be emptying and filling back up depending on what angle you're parking you car at....just a guess, nothing technically sound.

Perdue
07-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I wonder how involved replacing the float is. I'd like to know how much fuel I have since I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and I plan to continue doing so. Anyone know if it's on the fuel pump assembly, if you can gain access in the same manner, or if this is something I should let Subaru handle?

slip
07-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I've been having similar poblems with my fuel guage

Wiscon_Mark
07-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Furthermore, I'm experiencing losses in gas (mysterious ones that happen when I park, even on a flat surface) so I think the float may be filling up with it and that pisses me off because its robbing my gas money and now it'll probably be robbing my money to get it fixed! :evil:

Perdue
07-04-2005, 01:29 AM
I can't imagine the float being that big mark...If your car doesn't have the interior release gas cap cover, I'd watch for people siphoning if it's that bad.

Wiscon_Mark
07-04-2005, 05:28 AM
you're probably right....but mine is an inside release and I lock my car...although this happened at home (where it is unlocked) and I would know if someone was at my house anytime, so....it not impossible, but not what I would look for first.
If there is someone syphoning, words cannot describe (maybe they can, but we don't need to go there) what I would do to that poor sod. :evil:

perthliberty
07-31-2005, 12:33 PM
You don’t say what type car you got , nevertheless , I have the same problem since I have my Liberty GX 95 (awd) and after much mucking around found that the tank actually have TWO sender gauges. Replaced the main one and not much of a difference, following this I then replaced the left had side sender and the problem is gone now. The float cant crack nor will get dense or heavier with the fuel, you problem is the senders. If not mechanical handy, take the two of your senders to a auto electrician, he can check’ em out for you and perhaps your problem could be only the main sender.

Good luck

Perth Liberty
:roll:

Wiscon_Mark
07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
He has a 98 Legacy L (BD)

As for the senders tip, thanks, I could really use an accurate guage, cause when its telling me I've used 12 gallons, I've really only used 8! :?

Superu264
12-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Im having the same problem, it tells me something different all the time, although mostly it goes from where it is and rises about a quarter tank higher.. oh well, its just one more thing to love about the legacy. :-D

Superu264
12-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I just remembered, when I take the gas cap off I always get a lot of actual gas escaping from the tank.. I dont know what that means but just thought I'd throw that in there.

GT Wagon
12-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I just remembered, when I take the gas cap off I always get a lot of actual gas escaping from the tank.. I dont know what that means but just thought I'd throw that in there.

That's just pressurized air escaping. I wouldn't worry about it but I also wouldn't be smoking while I did it either.

My 97 GT has a pathetic fuel gauge. It rises to the top when filled by drops like a stone within 50km and reads empty by the E for the last 100km's. On a much older Mazda 626 I had a dead float and replaced it, was a piece of cake. Does anyone know how difficult it is to gain access to the float in the Legacy ?

The Mazda had an access port right in the trunk, like twisting open a jar and pulling out the old/in the new.

Wiscon_Mark
12-14-2005, 05:32 PM
access in the legacy is underneath the back seat

gil_ong81
12-14-2005, 05:54 PM
access in the legacy is underneath the back seat
on mine, they're right behind the rear seat-backs.

Wiscon_Mark
12-14-2005, 05:56 PM
yeah, its not like underneath your butt, but a little farther back...

gil_ong81
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
yeah, its not like underneath your butt, but a little farther back...

right. let me put it this way.

if you're looking into your trunk from the rear. it's right before the seat-back.

GT Wagon
12-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I called the dealer and there's two seperate senders. The main one has a fuel pump attached to it however you can buy it without the pump. Canadian pricing is about $140 for the main & $115 for the secondary senders. That's about $120 & 100 each. What do they cost in the US ?