PDA

View Full Version : My BMW and my Honda

Feiton
03-07-2007, 01:12 AM
The 95 BMW M3 is my summer toy car, I bought it spring of 2006 for around $11,000. So far its been nothing but fun, the only problem so far was the waterpump but that was actually cheeper and easier to fix then it was on my legacy. There isnt a whole lot done to it since im trying to stay in b-stock for one more year in SCCA, so far I have UUC exhaust, Brembo slotted rotors w/hawk pads, and 17" SSR rims with kuhmo V710s. By spring I hope to have koni shocks and a front sway bar on it.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/IMG_0706-4.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/IMG_0912-4.jpg

The 1988 Honda prelude Si was my very first car and was what I learned to race in as a teenager. I bought it in 1999 when it was completly stock with about 65k miles on it, did just about everything under the sun to it (except body kits or any of that crap) In 2002 I lost my license for about 8 months and started doing an H22A engine swap into the car, I never finished the job and lost intrest when I bough a 97 prelude the next year. However I do still have the car and do plan on finishing the job when im out of college. Here is a list of what I can remember that was done to it

-Thermal R&D exhaust
-AEM CA intake (custom made from teg intake)
-AEM Cam gears
-tokico Shocks
-eibach springs
-prostop crossdrilled rotors
-mintex pads
-momo T-frame seats
-momo monte carlo steering wheel
-17" Konig tantrum wheels w/nitto 450s

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/Pic3Medium-4.jpg

StatGSR
03-07-2007, 01:19 AM
nice cars dude! its gota be tricky puttin the H22 in the old prelude, not a common thing to do, and never actually heard of one being completed so good luck with that, would be a hell of a sleeper if u get that jammed in there.

Feiton
03-07-2007, 01:35 AM
nice cars dude! its gota be tricky puttin the H22 in the old prelude, not a common thing to do, and never actually heard of one being completed so good luck with that, would be a hell of a sleeper if u get that jammed in there.

It has been done afew times and was well documented in the past, luckly I bought the mount kit, custom axles and wiring kit right before the only company that made them went out of business. So when I do complete this it will probley be one of the last ones.

SHOfast
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Very nice cars, I'm a fan of both the E36's and the Preludes.

Just a little FYI, your M3 is illegal for BS with the slotted rotors, thats a big no no, and they won't help your times either in my opinion. How many miles do you have on it?

No pictures of the 97 Prelude?

Huffer
03-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Liking the M3. Great cars.
Pity about the cost of parts though!

Feiton
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Very nice cars, I'm a fan of both the E36's and the Preludes.

Just a little FYI, your M3 is illegal for BS with the slotted rotors, thats a big no no, and they won't help your times either in my opinion. How many miles do you have on it?

No pictures of the 97 Prelude?

:oops: Hmm I swear I read that u could do it somewhere, but maybe I was thinking about when I was in STS class with the hondas. I know they dont help at all for SCCA, its more for the track events I do at watkens glen.

Here are afew pics of the 97 lude, go ahead with the rice comments, I bought the car in 2003 with the kit already on it and sold it this past winter. Here is a short run down of what was done to it;

-JDM h22a w/ 10.6:1 comp ratio
-AEM short ram intake
-AEM Fuel rail
-AEM Cam gears
-AEM Pulleys
-Unorthadox underdrive pulley
-MSD SCI ignition system
-MSD blaster 2 ignition coil
-MSD Wires
-DC Sport Headers
-Gutted cat
-Apex N-1 exhaust
-Skunk 2 coil over suspension
-Enkei... 18" rims w/ nitto 450s
-Momo T-frame seats
-Momo monte carlo steering wheel
-About 200-300lbs of weight reduction (ie A/C, cruse, rear seats, ect)

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/IMG_0372-4.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/IMG_0378-4.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/IMG_0377-4.jpg\

I had an endless list of stuff I wanted to do to the car, but I think trading it for a stock M3 which completely out performed it even with all that done was the right choice. And now I can focus on the 88 prelude when ever I have my honda cravings.

badbasser98
03-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I'll take the bimmer off your hands :lol:

Perdue
03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
wow...the M3 is sexy...

Edit: And classing can be different from region to region. Here, we could have slotted rotors and upgraded pads and stay in a lower class, but with upsized rotors and calipers, to STX with you.

SHOfast
03-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I guess it can vary but I thought SCCA events followed the same rules. I know if you ever hope to make it beyond your local autocrosses you better follow the rule book. At local events I see all kinds of stuff in stock catagories, but people don't fuss since those drivers don't generally place.

How would you compare the 2 Preludes? I drove a 2001 right before they were out of production and I thought it was a neat drive. On occasion I see a clean 90 or 91 and keep thinking I may pick one up in a few years. Unless the last generation keeps getting cheaper and really is better.

Feiton
03-11-2007, 01:41 AM
I guess it can vary but I thought SCCA events followed the same rules. I know if you ever hope to make it beyond your local autocrosses you better follow the rule book. At local events I see all kinds of stuff in stock catagories, but people don't fuss since those drivers don't generally place.

How would you compare the 2 Preludes? I drove a 2001 right before they were out of production and I thought it was a neat drive. On occasion I see a clean 90 or 91 and keep thinking I may pick one up in a few years. Unless the last generation keeps getting cheaper and really is better.

For style and performance I would go with the 5th gen lude(97-01), but honistly I kinda liked the 88 better just because it had a much better feel for the road. I'm hopeing with the h22a enigne in the 88 lude will out perform the 97 lude.

Bimmerman
07-31-2007, 02:56 PM
As for the e36 plastic water pump, it's a common failure and will happen again. You can replace it with the turner motorsports or i believe bavarian autosport metal water pump impeller, and it will never fail again. Love the rims/general car though!

As for the slotted rotors, you can upgrade pads and rotors and stay in STS, but change rotor/caliper sizes and you're in STX. I don't know about stock classes, but I have a feeling that you can only do pads.

deadlydave
07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Here, theoretically, you could do whatever you want to your car, as long as nobody in your class objected. Most people are nice, and class themselves properly though.

I can't get away with anything, the guys who help me work on my car are the same crew who class people at the auto-x. I didn't realize that until I went to sneak myself in G stock(for my 1st auto-x), and one of them was like, "what class are you in? I know you have Wheels, tires, struts, and springs done." And PWNED I was.