PDA

View Full Version : Keep these tires or sell them?

JordanIsHere
03-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I picked up these WRX rims and tires a while from a local guy, $250. The tires are Bridgestone ge-force 225/55/16 all seasons. One of the tires is brand new, and the other 3 are "like new". I'm not sure how many miles they have exactly, but using a penny the tread looks identical to the new one. I don't know if they will even fit without rubbing, and I know they will throw my speedo off a bit. My other concern is messing up the AWD because one of the tires is brand new.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7593/dsc0036qg0.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0036qg0.jpg)

What do you guys think? Should I keep them or sell them for something else?

P.S. What color should I paint the rims? :razz:

Thanks.

Huffer
03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
If the tire tread is even, the AWD will be fine.

The tire will make your speedo read a little slow - when you do 60mph, you'll actually be doing 62.1mph

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Sarra
03-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Also, you may get some rubbing, those tires stick out a little more than stock and the BK tends to be a little bit pickier about that. Give 'em a shot and see if you like them, though. And since they're wider and taller, your gears will be a little longer, and you won't get as much acceleration out of the car, but you'll have a higher top speed (not that you'll ever get past 80 without a long, steep hill).

sheepdog
03-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Fender rolling solves the rubbing issue. WRX wheels look best in their original form imo, black is overdone, and gold just doesnt look right on them, and they arent the style of wheel to color match the car with.

Sarra
03-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Fender rolling solves the rubbing issue. WRX wheels look best in their original form imo, black is overdone, and gold just doesnt look right on them, and they arent the style of wheel to color match the car with.

Gunmetal?

JordanIsHere
03-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I guess I will try the tires out and if they rub I'll just sell them, I don't think I want to mess around with rolling the fenders. Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards the standard silver or gunmetal for the paint. I painted the stock rims gunmetal on my last car (hyundai POFS, also green) and it looked pretty good.

Also finished up my WRX seat install today, so I'll have to get some pics of that up. If it stays warm outside I'm gonna get my spoiler on too. :smile:

Sarra
03-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I was looking at the WRX wheels on my car the other day and wondering if they would look awesome gunmetal, or if i should leave them stock.

OUTBACKWBEER!
03-23-2007, 01:27 AM
In my opinion the '02-'03 WRX wheel should have been a Legacy wheel to start with ...they look so cheap on a WRX VS an OZ or Prodrive..

On the other hand on Legacy it looks hot!!!

I have an set on my '03 outback ...I know another friend has them painted black on his gen 1 leg outback they look awesome!

Another buddie has them on his '90 leg wagon...they just look sweet!

As far as tires put that new tire on the left front as that is where most of the weight is and wear...then rotate to the rear every 4k.

I have had a few tires replaced with up to 2-4/32" difference and thousands of miles on them with no issues...

I mean look at a rally car ...I bet not one tire is even close to the others for wear..we change them all the time and never have issues...You wanna guess how many shredded, cut, blown tires we change in a season....

I think most of the issues would be with the 4EAT trans as it's more sensitive ....I have have had no probs yet..

Plays_with_Toys
03-23-2007, 02:27 AM
The tires shouldn't rub. Currently running the same wheels with the same size rubber, no issues. On my 2.5RS wheels there was no rubbing either.

The wheels look great when they are all cleaned up, and you got a steal of a deal for wheels and brand new G-forces, as those tires are supposed to be real good.