PDA

View Full Version : Noob from Brazil!

DanCT
07-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Hello all!

I am a proud owner of a 98 Legacy GL. I bet most people didn't know the GL designation even existed... it comes with an all-powerful (not really) ej20 SOHC N/A engine with measly 115HP and it is FWD! A truly reliable car though and the unique JDM look of brazilian Legacys is really something. I will post a picture as soon as I get my digital camera back.

Like everyone, I am looking for cheap way to squeeze a few more HP out of this bad boy. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Pwise2326
07-05-2005, 07:56 PM
An EJ20 N/A?? Wow, first time I've heard of that in a BD! Welcome to the site, glad to see yet another member that gives this place it's international title! Welcome to the site, hope we can help!

DanCT
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
An EJ20 N/A?? Wow, first time I've heard of that in a BD! Welcome to the site, glad to see yet another member that gives this place it's international title! Welcome to the site, hope we can help!
I din't realize how rare it was until I started hanging around Legacy Forums... Subaru probably outfitted an underpowered engine to make the car more accessible to the brazilian market.

In 98 we also had the 2.5 GX model (the usual ej25 N/A) and the rare appearance of a GT.

Japanese imports in Brazil pretty much hold the same status as the entry-level german models (Mercedes C, BMW 3, Audi A4)...

Reason
07-06-2005, 05:05 AM
Welcome , where abouts are you in Brasil? I have a friend that is from there. Not sure where, I would have to ask him.

pdawg
07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the site. Can't wait to see the pics.

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2005, 12:17 AM
I only remember the GL as an old wagon with a 1.8L engine and full time 4WD. Interesting that the designation got stuck on a Legacy. Welcome to the forums. Great that we have a South American. Now all we need is an African and we will truly be International! Great to have you with us! Does subaru sell FWD in Brazil anymore? or did they phase that out? I know they got rid of that FWD stuff in 96 around here.

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Another thought...not try to whore here...
with 115 HP and FWD you probably actually get as much power at the wheels as I do with my EJ22 (135HP) so it can't be all that slow...

DanCT
07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Another thought...not try to whore here...
with 115 HP and FWD you probably actually get as much power at the wheels as I do with my EJ22 (135HP) so it can't be all that slow...
Hm... never thought of that... probably because I never drove an AWD car.
And by all means, I don't think it is slow... specially down here in Brazil where about half of the cars sold have 1.0 liter engines and less than 70HP.
I love my car, but I would probably love it more if it had like 150HP or so... but I won't risk making it less reliable to achieve that amount of power. At least not now since it is my daily driver.

DanCT
07-07-2005, 12:53 AM
I only remember the GL as an old wagon with a 1.8L engine and full time 4WD. Interesting that the designation got stuck on a Legacy. Welcome to the forums. Great that we have a South American. Now all we need is an African and we will truly be International! Great to have you with us! Does subaru sell FWD in Brazil anymore? or did they phase that out? I know they got rid of that FWD stuff in 96 around here.

No more FWD Subarus down here. We only got the Impreza (Sedan and SW) WRX (no STIs), the Forester XT, the Legacy H6 3.0 and the Outback 3.0 and 2.5 (N/A).

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2005, 08:41 AM
No Legacy 2.5?! Wow...
The H6s are really nice though...

gator gt
07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Our first brethren from South America???

ALRIGHT!!

Welcome!

Speaking of designations, did anyone (quiet you guys from Japan!) that the 2.5GT in Japan was called the 250T? Found that one out a couple months ago.

the Search button is your friend, as we may have talked about it already, but please, feel free to ask questions...we'll try our best.

GGT

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2005, 10:26 PM
...we'll try our best.

What he means is that most of us will stumble for some answer and then he'll tell you :lol: