PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Air Filter Cone?

SilentRacer
03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I saw this on ebay, does anyone know if these are any good. Ad says stainless steel mesh and doesn't need to be oiled.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/03/StainlessFilter-1.jpg

2.5GT
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I have one similar to that. It does have a neat sound to it at WOT. Other than that, i dunno much about it.

Reason
03-15-2007, 11:17 PM
It's probably like running no filter at all, minus large debris. I think that's more for race applications when they rebuild the engine every so many races. I like the cone filter with the built in velocity stacks. That doesn't have one.

Huffer
03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
the Blitz SUS filter is mesh - and it works well for both filtration and flow.

No idea if that ebay one is even close to the Blitz manufacture though.

backpack09
03-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Lets put it this way, as any mechanic will tell you a K&N filter is about the worst thing you can do to an engine (as it lets a hell of a lot larger particles pass through). This will let even larger particles pass through.

The cloth in the K&N has a certain size hole, with the oil, the holes get smaller. But still a lot bigger than a paper/oem filter.

There is no way that they can weave a stainless mesh anywhere as tightly as a K&N, therefore you may get more flow, but on the street you will pick up more trash.

I run a K&N in all of my cars, I just make sure I change the oil every 30k, to remove all of the dirt and dust that has been sucked in.

Huffer
03-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Lets put it this way, as any mechanic will tell you a K&N filter is about the worst thing you can do to an engine (as it lets a hell of a lot larger particles pass through). This will let even larger particles pass through.

The cloth in the K&N has a certain size hole, with the oil, the holes get smaller. But still a lot bigger than a paper/oem filter.

There is no way that they can weave a stainless mesh anywhere as tightly as a K&N, therefore you may get more flow, but on the street you will pick up more trash.

I run a K&N in all of my cars, I just make sure I change the oil every 30k, to remove all of the dirt and dust that has been sucked in.

You might want to re-read that.

backpack09
03-16-2007, 03:22 PM
... What am I missing ... :oops: :oops:

I agree they are bad for your engine, but use them for the increased airflow.
I try and keep the insides clean with regular oil changes and such.

Svenerachi
03-17-2007, 09:20 AM
oil change isn't going to do much to keep the insides of the cylinders clean, which is what i think he was refering to.

in any case, i believe its the oil itself that is used as part of the filtration process that gets sucked into the engine, coats the MAF, and causes problems inside of the engine.

i'm not a mechanic, i'm just going off what i read