PDA

View Full Version : Tranny shifting weird. (4EAT)

OutbackGT
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
So I'm driving home today and I decide to give the gas pedal a little stomping. I stomp it in first gear, revs climb close to redline and then the tranny seems to let go for a split second, then it abruptly shifts to second and chirps the front tires, same thing into third minus the chirping tires. Basically when shifting, the revs climb, tranny seems to shift to neutral for a split second then abruptly catches the next gear. Any idea what's wrong? This tranny's never given me troube before, but perhaps my constant flogging is catching up to it. Car has about 104,000 miles on it, how long are these transmissions usually good for? Thanks for any help.

Huffer
03-15-2007, 11:49 PM
The 4EAT shifts like that - it's not designed as a "performance" shift transmission. Once things start to wear out, they stretch and never sync well.

I would suggest new fluid and Lubegard ATF protectant for good measure - I had a similar problem on mine, I changed the fluid and used the additive. Problem diminished a lot, and the torque bind was eliminated.

I will say that on these cars, you do want the AT to shift firmly, as a slow shift results in a lot of heat buildup, which destroys the fluid & the tranny.

You might want to consider installing a transmission cooler in front of the radiator. Nothing huge, but enough to help maintain temps during those hotter months.

studum
03-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Your car is a BE/BH right?

It does sound a bit odd. The car should shift firm but that seems a bit too firm to me.

I was having weird driveability issues with my car also a while ago. I could have sworn it was the tranny dropping out on me. It felt as though it was popping in and out of gear, especially when out of load.

I finally cracked and took it to the dealer because no one I took the car to could pinpoint anything.

Ended up caving and took it to the dealer. $500 later the car was diagnosed and repaired. Front 02 sensor was giving wacky signals but wasn't tripping the CEL. They also reflashed my ECU with a newer version to fix something.

Ended up fixing the car, drove like brand new and the tranny is much smoother in operation than before.

The $500 hurt, but was a hell of a lot cheaper than a new tranny. For the difference in driveability it was completely worth it. Might be worth looking into if the problem continues. Also might be time for a fluid change?

OutbackGT
03-17-2007, 08:33 PM
New development: The shifting problem slowly went away and now it shifts completely normal. Transmission computer bug?

studum
03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Weird. Early April fools joke?