PDA

View Full Version : painting calipers/rotor tophats

ooberdoob
07-07-2005, 01:20 AM
i can get some paint really cheap at work, ($10 to do all 8 pcs) to paint my rotor tophats and calipers black, so i'm really tempted to do it.

everything is kinda pitted though, its a northern VA car originally...

i have access to a bead blaster and was wondering how i should go about cleaning everything in order to prep it all?

ANY advice here would be great, i've never used a bead blaster before...

Reason
07-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Make sure there is no rust or grim and paint with a high heat paint. Bead blaster would be great to have access to. All I can tell you is you want a clean surface and don't foul up and brake line leads.

Jonathan
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
MOST of the really high-teperature paint you would use to do calipers with you apply with a brush - not a spray can. If you are using a paint brush, i dont think you need to bother about minor pitting as the paint is thick enough to cover these. If you are planning on using a spray can (fairly thin paint then please dis-regard this post.

OUTBACKWBEER!
10-23-2005, 02:45 AM
I just used a engine spray paint.......no problems! Brushing .....why would you waste your time! I don't think calipers get over 700 degrees F.....

Here's a pic of mine painted black.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/fincaliper-1.jpg

galek_98gt
10-24-2005, 09:22 PM
i just bought a kit of BLUE caliper paint. as soon as i get some time i'm gonna take apart my entire brake system and paint them up. all the fluid needs changing anyway so i'm already planning on draining the brakes.

shazapple
10-24-2005, 09:51 PM
its easiest to paint the piston part on the car, just do a bit of taping and covering. This part is easiest to do with a brush.

Take off the brake pad holder and tape up the rubber parts and go to town. This part is easy to do with spraypaint, but can easily be done with a brush as well.

I have pics in my caliper painting thread showing how I did it. Also make sure to grease up the sliders so they dont rust.