PDA

View Full Version : Seat Swapping and Air Bags

pdawg
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
This is just a general question. If a car is equipped with side air bags and you replace the seats with non-airbag seats does this screw up all the airbags? Or do you just get the dash light letting you know there is something amiss.

sheepdog
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
The only difference is the light. The other airbags will function normally. If you get wrx seats with the airbags, I've heard you can wire them up to work so you don't get the light.

TRUBLU
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey sorry to go haywire on you sheepdog but that is REALLY REALLY REALLY wrong! The other airbags will not work if that airbag light is on. If that airbag light is on then the computer doesn't know what is wrong and due to liability reasons feared by the manufacturer will not set off the other airbags.

Airbag light on means air bags not operational. Now, this is easily overcome :) Your lucky ;) Go ahead and remove the seats and install seats sans airbags. Grab that airbag connector and jam in a 3.3ohm resistor. Hey presto, the computer thinks there is an airbag and all the airbags will function normally.

Sorry sheepdog but I really needed to clarify

Wiscon_Mark
04-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, you don't want any problems with your airbags (which includes a dummy light)...if you crash, the insurance company could throw a fit and not cover you.

TRUBLU
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
sheepdog, sorry if my first post came across as a little aggressive. It was pre coffee!

pdawg
04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
thanks guys

Brockley
06-25-2007, 01:59 PM
which wires need to be bridged with the resistor... there are three... blue, brown and green IIRC...
(this is for the steeringwheel one)

TRUBLU
07-06-2007, 11:28 PM
blue and green.

Put the resistor in with the battery off and turn the ignition key from the passenger seat.