PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! IT MAY BE SERIOUS

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I'll start out with the good news, I got my lighting of the badge (pics tomorrow) and the grounding kit done...FINALLY!

It looks all nice and everything, and so I turn my car on and drive it around a little bit...I hear something clanking (I dropped a washer on the engine block, it fell off later, no big deal. I come home after warming the engine up and shut it off. Then I turn it back on and listen to the idle with the hood open. Sounds good, nothing out of the ordinary. Then I realize its getting quite dark and I have tools, wire, tape, etc all over the lawn, so turn the car on and aim the headlights/fogs over by my workspace so I can clean up...After about 2 minutes I start hearing this high pitched squealing noise. It's not terribly loud, and its constant at idle. So I sit in the car and rev the engine a little bit to see if it'll go away, and it does above 1300 RPMs or so, but as soon as it goes back down to idle, it returns. It's barely noticable inside the car (even without a stereo on and the windows down) but outside, its quite annoying. It was too dark to really see if anything was out of the ordinary, so I shut it off and went inside to get help (up to the present moment here).

Things to consider:

Engine hasn't been run in 5 or 6 days
It was quite dewy out, could be a belt or something (but I'm inclined to think it isn't because the noise was constant and wasn't affected over time)
I checked and there was nothing in the way of moving parts (rubbing??)

Thoughts, Ideas? troubleshooters? I'd rather not try to remove the grounding kit, its quite involved (custom work too).

Edit:
I ran it again later, and the noise was there again during idle, but when I brought her back in (after taking pictures of my new backlit badge) it was gone or indistinguishable from all the other engine noises. My guess is that I need to listen to my idle more to prove that stuff like this always happens and its really not a big deal. But I could be wrong.

ooberdoob
07-08-2005, 02:31 AM
i vote loose belt.

could be that washer or w/e is actually still in there and its rattling at a frequency high enould to sound like a squeel? i dunno man...

Wiscon_Mark
07-08-2005, 09:23 AM
could be that washer or w/e is actually still in there and its rattling at a frequency high enould to sound like a squeel? i dunno man...

The washer was a different noise altogether, I think. But we'll see when I take it for a moderatly long trip today.

belladonna
07-08-2005, 12:41 PM
i'm with oober on this one. it's probably just a loose belt causing some noise...

shazapple
07-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Loose belt, they only happen at low rpm, plus it was damp, etc etc...

haplesspete
07-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Check out the bearing on the jocky that keeps tension on the main belt, mine does the same thing and when hot it goes away, It took me a while to find it but put a small amount of dry lube into it and it stops, If you dont know the one I mean I can take a pic and post it.

PETE.

Reason
07-09-2005, 04:58 AM
Could your alternator be shitting the bed?

Wiscon_Mark
07-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Well, it went out for a 90 mile journey yesterday and it was fine. No noises out of the ordinary. So I'm thinking I should check my belts and if something is wrong replace them.

Could your alternator be shitting the bed?

could be, but I doubt it. The noise wasn't coming from that area, it was more back by the intake manifold (the general area, I checked the alternator first, so I know it definitely wasn't there). Also, my headlights were brighter than normal (grounding mod helped a little) and everything else like A/C and stuff worked fine.