PDA

View Full Version : Valve job?

warrior
03-23-2007, 08:13 AM
I found a reliable mechanic that will do my head gasket job for $1200 + tax CAN $) This includes the overhaul OEM gasket kit, machining the heads and replacing all the seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc.

He suggested that it may be worthwhile to get a valve job done while the heads are off.. uh.. what's a valve job? My engine only has 160,000km (100,000 miles)

dodik
03-23-2007, 08:23 AM
i dont know what a valve job is but after my HG got replaced my lifters were knocking like a horny woodpecker, had to add at least a quart of oil stabilizer with every oil change. But basically valve job probbly means he is going to make sure all your valves have the right gap and open and close exactly when suppose to. read FSM about valves it should be there.

gil_ong81
03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
possibly grinding them down to make sure that they seat properly, repalce gaskets, check springs........

why don't you ask him and then come tell us! :grin:

Wiscon_Mark
03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
The 97+ Legacy had solid lifters instead of Hydraulic lash adjusters, which means they need to be adjusted every 100k miles or so - maybe he just means adjusting the lifters?

rougeben83
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
The traditional use of the term "valve job" usually means grinding the valves and ports to smooth them out and put several angles on the valve surface (either 3-angle or 5-angle is the common ones done) to smooth out and increase the flow of air into the cylinder. This usually done in conjunction to a port and polish and gasket matching of the head.

I don't know why he would suggest you do that to yours considering it was in a maintenance context.

scottzg
03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
i think he wants to give you a hummer! :shock:

mark is right. Adjusting lifters should run 70-150$ and it's totally worth paying someone else.