PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Shield Under Gastank Necessary?

glee60
03-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Hmm... Soo I apologize for the repost, but I don't feel like dieing in a flaming ball of Subaru... People say they've ditched all there exhaust shields, So I shouldn't have a problem pulling my shield under my gas tank? Thanks!

Plays_with_Toys
03-28-2007, 01:48 AM
I'd keep that one. Most people ditch the one near the front of the exhaust. Two reasons why I wouldn't want to remove the one by the tank. 1) I don't like the thought of a hot pipe near a big thing of combustibles. 2) I believe if you heat the tank you are more likely to vapor lock the motor.

Reason
03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I took all mine off so my exhaust wouldn't rub. I had no problems, but I'm not saying you SHOULD take it off. I'm just saying I had no problems (thats so if you blow up your family can't come after me :wink: )

glee60
03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys! Sadly that was my only remaining rattling shield, and I couldn't take it anymore so I pulled it off... I'm going to see some day in the future If I can stiffen the shield and add rubber bushings to the other side where Subaru Didn't. At least in the mean time I won't die!

scottzg
03-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys! Sadly that was my only remaining rattling shield, and I couldn't take it anymore so I pulled it off... I'm going to see some day in the future If I can stiffen the shield and add rubber bushings to the other side where Subaru Didn't. At least in the mean time I won't die!

if you stop posting here we'll assume the worst.

Huffer
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
You could always heatwrap the exhaust pipe...

Wiscon_Mark
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I would've left that one on. If it's rattling against something, you've got a misaligned exhaust system.

Reason
03-29-2007, 01:21 PM
I would've left that one on. If it's rattling against something, you've got a misaligned exhaust system.

Or a larger aftermarket exhaust

edit: I would also add that any lighten crank pulley would be better than underdriven IMO

Wiscon_Mark
03-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Or a larger aftermarket exhaust

It would take a very large exhaust to have issues if it's hung properly. Kartboy makes longer than stock exhaust hangers.

Reason
03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Mine was on fine, it was rubbing the heat shield. I took it off and all was fine. I don't know what else to tell you. It was stock hangers I'll give you that but the rest of the set up was fine.

Plays_with_Toys
03-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Actually mine hit the shield too, but I just bent it closer to the tank. It's a pretty flimsy piece of metal and was easy to bend to a proper shape.

glee60
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Just an update, not dead. Thanks guys! :lol:

d1giPhux
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Just an update, not dead. Thanks guys! :lol:

YET! :shock: LOL