PDA

View Full Version : Just remember...im new here

norma_jean
07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I dont know if you guys have already been through this but what are your thoughts on turboing a no turbo engine?...possible? more trouble/expensive than a complete swap? Apexi has a universal turbocharger and i was thinking about boost and how my car couldnt pull the skin off rice pudding...I need substantial hp gains...

gator gt
07-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Well, it depends on how much boost you want. I'm not risking it and am headed to full-on swap.

Whats your budget? How much is the turbo kit going for? Whats the estimate HP gain?

Here's what I've found (could be a bit off)

1) Turbo kit = ~$2500-3500 all said and done....although I haven't done much research on these.

2) WRX swap = ~$5000-6000 (USDM motor only) with wiring. Keep your exist. tranny and not including other important chassis upgrades to keep up with 'new-found' power levels.

3) WRX motor and tranny swap = ~$8500-12000. This takes into account motor, tranny and wiring. labor extra if you aren't doing it. motor makes and models may vary by what deals you can scoff up. same goes for tranny. Tranny swap (75% of the time) WILL include a rear diff change-up as well (because of different ratios)

Toss in an extra $5000 to $7500 for upgrades of: brakes, suspension, rims, tires and other ancillary pieces like engine mounts, ALK, steering bushings, sensors, clutch, etc, etc.

Here's an example: I estimated that I needed around $250 for WRX wiring (bulkhead, engine, fuel tank).....WRONG. $850 got me gorgeous, uncut bulkhead and engine wiring from an 03. Another $25 got me an uncut fuel tank cord out of a 8k mile old (rolled) WRX. Finding uncut bulkhead wiring is pretty close to almost never happening unless you pull it yourself. I also got boost control solenoid (often not included), BOTH fuse boxes, instrument cluster wiring and numerous other goodies.

you get the idea.

One bit of advice I can give anyone looking to modding their car:

SHOP AROUND!! I'm always hearing how people think they got these great deals on parts....but they bought from the first place they looked. For most items, you can find a cheaper place somewhere.

hope this helps.
GGT

Disturbed_beast
07-10-2005, 02:10 AM
If your just want a turbo the kits are like gator gt said are pricey but if you want a turbo car that you can put much more power into i would say start saving up i paid $4,500 for my WRX engine, Transmission, and Differential plus other parts that i needed as i went along with the swap so, personally i wouls go for the WRX swap instead of a turbo kit

gator gt
07-10-2005, 07:20 PM
And like DB has pointed out, my price range may be high on the choices I haven't embarked on.....that last one though, I'm sure about the price as I'm going that route.... :shock: , but hey this thing will move and handle.

And sometimes you'll stumble across the deals like DB obviously has. Plus it depends on mileage on the setup you're getting.

DB, where did you get the wiring? Its pretty hard to find examples that aren't cut or missing things.

GGT

Tokio
07-10-2005, 07:34 PM
another alternative to turbo kits:

-ej22t block...found in turbo legacies from 91-94

-legacy turbo/wrx exhasut manifold/cats...

-legacy turbo/wrx turbo assembly...

-rising rate fuel pressure regulator of your choice...

-engine management of your choice...

-assorted guages and meters and other goodies...

the aussies found the turbo block to be indestructable, and its closed deck unlike the rex and the sti blocks...

look around nasioc and i-club... jey ping has a good setup also...

Perdue
07-10-2005, 08:06 PM
not sure about the EJ20t, but I'm damn sure the EJ25t that comes in the STi is CLOSED block...

gator gt
07-10-2005, 09:08 PM
EJ205 (US & JDM WRX) and 207 (JDM STi) are not closed deck. They may be semi-closed, but are not full closed.

GGT

Wiscon_Mark
07-10-2005, 10:14 PM
You could probably buy a 91-94 turbo legacy for less than 4500 if you look hard enough...now granted, it may need rebuilding, but they're quite fast :twisted:
Plus you've got all the wiring and the tranny and stuff right there. Just my .02

Disturbed_beast
07-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Haven't got the wiring yet for the car but AFBeefcake is the one that is getting me the wiring and wiring it up 4 me, cuz personally im not that great with that stuff, i would probably screw that up

SC00BS
07-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Don't just go for the bolt on a turbo approach as you will always encounter more problems than it's worth. My suggestion would be try and gt yourself a frontcut of a JDM liberty/legacy. That way you get the motor, gearbox, ECU and wiring loom and front brakes (Sometimes even rear). Speaking from experience and other friends experiences theres never been a simple bolt on upgrade for non-turbo cars. You alsways have to remember that the motor was never designed to run a turbo so your internals may do the job for a while but you will have to replace them eventually, especially if you want to run decent boost.

HFSDevil
07-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I have a friend here with a 1998 2.5RS and he put the Apexi kit on his car and he keeps up with stage 2 Cobb Turned WRXs running 5 pounds of boost. A WRX at Stage 2 is about 270 HP

norma_jean
07-29-2005, 06:02 PM
thanks devil,
Devil, did your friend have a lot of trouble with it after installing?>

Wiscon_Mark
07-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Unless its an EJ22, I wouldn't recommend turbo'ing it at all, honestly. As far as NA engines go, the EJ22 is the toughest of the bunch, but honestly, you can't beat an EJ22 Shortblock that was actually made for lots of boost....go EJ22t and get yourself a bulletproof engine ;)