PDA

View Full Version : Heated seat question

caoutback
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this has been covered before so sorry if it has (I CANNOT find a way to search the forums) but, I have a 98 LOB with the heated leather seats. Are they pressure sensitive??? On cold arse mornings I start my car up to defrog the windshield and warm up the inside of the car (including the seat warmers), but when I get in (usually 10-15 minutes after start up) my seat is ICE cold. What gives??? After about five ten minutes of driving my arse thaws out and begins to warm. Is this normal?

Huffer
03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
That's not normal - though it's possible that the seat heaters have an upper warm limit that they're reaching. Much like the rear window defroster will shut off if left on for too long.

All the outbacks I've been in the seat heaters come on with the switch in the console.

caoutback
03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Any guesstimate on how long that would take??? I leave the switch on all the way to work (15 miles) and it hasn't burnt my arse yet, but ICE cold on initial sit down???

studum
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
My heated leather takes a while to heat up. It takes the cold out of the seat pretty wuick but I don't feel actual warmth for a few minutes. I always figured it was just my fat ass.

dodik
03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
i noticed that too if im not seeting in my seat it doesnt heat up i think its not a sensor rather heat coil and seat cusion are not toching each other until you put weight on it. and my is 02 outback

TRUBLU
04-01-2007, 11:05 AM
They are not pressure sensitive but that is normal.

Basically whats happening is the foam around the strips has been heated but without the weight of your arse on there the top layer hasn't been heated. So in a sense they pressure sensitive...but not electronically.

jjs316
04-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Basically whats happening is the foam around the strips has been heated but without the weight of your arse on there the top layer hasn't been heated. So in a sense they pressure sensitive...but not electronically.

thats how my grand cherokee was.

caoutback
04-02-2007, 12:40 AM

OK. I was figuring as much and just wanted to make sure. I'm starting to get electrical and mechanical gremlins and wanted to get some input before I go to the dealership with my list of problems. Thanx abunch everyone!