PDA

View Full Version : problem at start up

belladonna
07-09-2005, 01:54 AM
okay...my first problem with my car...

tonight is the second time in two days it has done this and it's making me worry...from a cold startup my car will almost stall out and die. it tries to stall out about 2-3 times within the first minute or two then it seems to run fine...i'm not thinking anything sensor wise because the cel does not come on while it's doing this. i'm leaning towards something fuel related....any ideas?

:?

shazapple
07-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Fuel related sounds possible. I have an autostart, and sometimes it would fail to start, then when it retried the revs would be erratic and die. Im thinking it because of too much fuel from the last attempt, so i just stopped using my autostart.

Tokio
07-09-2005, 12:44 PM
need more info...

could be as simple as bad gas, lassie.

belladonna
07-09-2005, 03:56 PM
:? didn't think about bad fuel...i filled up three days ago at the same station i always do....
i'm not sure what else to say tokio :? have any questions?

Plays_with_Toys
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Has it been alot colder than previous days? Are you waiting long enough at the on position before starting to car to allow the fuel system to pressurize?

belladonna
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
it has been getting rather chilly at night, which could also be the problem. and yes, i do wait a bit before putting the car into gear and going...it didn't do it at all today :? grr...i think my car plays pranks on me sometimes :P :lol:

Reason
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
How is your fuel filter? Maybe u need to change it.

belladonna
07-10-2005, 09:25 AM
i changed it 6000 miles ago....

Reason
07-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Maybe fouled plugs? Give them a look to see what shape they are in. Or maybe it's shit gas or the injectors are clogged. Other than that I don't have a clue with out being there.

fibuz
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
May wanna think about battery too....

belladonna
07-10-2005, 09:09 PM
i'll take a look at the injectors and plugs...it's about time for those to be changed anyway

the battery i would think about, but it's only a little over a year old...

thanks for all your help guys. hopefully, on the next fill-up i won't be having this problem :P

Tokio
07-11-2005, 09:37 AM
heres a neat trick for checking injectors:

-if you have a long enough screw driver (stardard works best), place the tip of said screwdriver on the top of an injector while the engine is running. CAREFULLY place your ear close to the handle part of the 'driver. if the injector is working properly, you will hear a repeating click as the injectors open. no sound=no injector. the 'driver works as a poor tech's stethoscope.

IMHO, i would lean towards bad gas, bad fuel pump, or bad plugs being your problem. if your going to check out your fuel system anyway, id start with a fuel pressure check first to rule out all possibilities (pump, lines, filter) before i looked at the injectors.

good luck! :)

Plays_with_Toys
07-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Maybe you can Seafoam it. If you're gonna change the plugs anyway, do this first.

SC00BS
07-28-2005, 08:19 PM
When the car has been giving you problems on start up has the car been sitting flat or on a hill? If it's on a hill it could a problem relating to the crank angle sensor

belladonna
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
my dad told me to check the crank sensor too, but since it was not throwing code when it did it, sensor related problem would be thrown out...it also didn't matter if it was flat or inclined ground...

update: cleaned the injectors, threw in some new spark plugs and it hasn't done it since...verdict: bad gas...